Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    David Shepherd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2006, 09:38 PM
    Attach stud walls to cement floor
    I am putting in a wood/sheetrock wall in my basement, but don't know how to attach the wood frame/studs to a cement floor. All help appreciated.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 29, 2006, 09:51 PM
    Drill and use a cement fastener. Use a nail gun make to sink nails into concrete, they are powered by blanks basically.
    David Shepherd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2006, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    drill and use a cement fastener. Use a nail gun make to sink nails into concrete, they are powered by blanks basicly.
    Thanks for the quick reply, Fr. Chuck. Just so I am clear - do I need a special drill to drill into cement? And what is a cement fastner?

And if I drill holes into the cement, shouldn't I then use screws rather than nails?

(As you can probably tell, I am just a regular homeowner with no more tools than your usual hammer/saw/cordless drill. I would have to rent the nail gun or any special drill.)

Thanks much.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 30, 2006, 02:16 PM
    Sorry two different methods.

Yes if you drill in ( you need special drill bits and a powerful drill depending on the hardness of the concrete) then they have special screws with expansion fittings that go into the concrete .
    ** sorry I don't know the real names for these, I don't use them often

And the other option is a special nail gun ( you should be able to rent one) for some reason I ended up owning one. But it actully "shoots" a nail though the board and into the concrete. You load ( at least in my version) one nail at a time and put a blank shell in the top part, you hit the top of it with a hammer and it shoots the nail right in.

And of course my friend just glued one in, they made sure it fit vey tight from top to bottom and used speical glue so that the bottom just held between the glue and the tight fit.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Dec 31, 2006, 11:08 AM
    You can use Tapcon screws. The are blue colored screws made for masonry. The masonry bits you need will be on display next to the screws.

Or, you can by a Remington masonry gun. This shoots masonry nails and a 22caliber blank is used. They're loud (gun shot) so use ear protection and eye protection. They come in a trigger style and a hammer (wack it with a hammer) style.
    krobar Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Dec 31, 2006, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by David Shepherd
    I am putting in a wood/sheetrock wall in my basement, but don't know how to attach the wood frame/studs to a cement floor. All help appreciated.
    Go to the local hardware store and buy some tapcons, buy the box that comes with the drill bit in it
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 31, 2006, 02:38 PM
    You may want to use pressure treated lumber for the base of that wall. Concrete allows some moisture through to the surface. If that surface is now covered with a pine 2x4 you can get rot and/or mold. Rot is bad but mold is worse!
    myoldhouse Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2006, 07:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by David Shepherd
    Have done a couple of basement room mods since moving to PA from TX (love that extra space!) and after taking a quick look at Lowe's, decided to buy the Remington .22 nailer and appropriate power charges and nails(the hammer style, as it was only about $20 bucks a couple of years ago)-be sure you use nails specified for pressure treated lumber, and as suggested above, use that type of lumber for where you're working. In taking apart a 35-year old prior basement 1/2 bath install to make way for a full bath, I have found lots of moldy 2x4 plates that are now junk-the stuff up the wall is OK, but floor contact in an old, un-barriered concrete floor or in an area that may get occasionally wet (where's your washer? Or, possible toilet backup, etc.) just about requires use of treated stuff. As above, use ear and eye protection when using the power nailer, use a strong enough cartridge to fully drive the nails, use care when making sawdust with the treated lumber, and enjoy your new room. Good luck//dlr
    wildert Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2009, 08:33 PM
    There is a video on YouTube about framing walls, this one is for a garage but it's the same idea

YouTube - How to Frame & Insulate a New Wall : How to Frame a Corner in your Garage

Spoiler alert - they use glue - no nails or screws
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 22, 2009, 08:10 AM

Wildert, you should check the posting dates on some of what you read, this post has been quiet since 2006.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing old tiles from cement floor [ 13 Answers ]

Anybody have a secret for removing the black adhesive left on a cement floor after removing old vinyl tiles? Maybe I should be asking whether I actually need to remove the adhesive. Right now the plan is to use 12" ceramic tiles for the new floor. In fact, now that I think about it I'm...

A way to put a drain in a basement cement floor [ 4 Answers ]

Speedball has helped me before so maybe he or someone else can advise me now. I will need to move a drain (that is already cemented in a basement floor) about 3 feet. The way I was told by a plumber is to use a concrete saw. I do not want the mess a concrete saw will create so I thought of...

Shower on cement floor [ 5 Answers ]

I want to add a shower to our basement, the plumbing is not there. How do I put the shower plumbing in? Do I have to cut into the main pipe for the shower? Do I have to cut into the cement, or can the plumbing be installed above the cement? Thanks

Basement stud walls [ 4 Answers ]

I am beginning the process of finishing our walkout basement. One of the first challenges I have come across in laying out the walls is a number of plumbing and gas lines right at the top of the concrete exterior walls feeding the main and second story. The lines will prevent me from attaching...

Metal vs. Wood stud walls [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am planning our basement and would like to get anyone's opinion on using metal vs wood to do the framing. Everything I've read indicates that metal is much easier to work with and can be done in a more quick time frame. I also did some research and the costs are identical...

View more questions Search