Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Sep 27, 2010, 11:25 AM
    Canadian Law: Incarceration for NCR adult.
    My daughter, age 29, has been NCR, and in a mental hospital for the past 7 years. Her last ORB hearing, she is still considered a high risk to injure herself, and others. Treatment is ongoing.

A month ago she assaulted, and injured a staff member. She was charged. She was taken to the Police Department and fingerprinted (although that was already on record). She was given a court date, which is tomorrow.

Talking to her caseworkers, it is highly unlikely that she will be sent to jail. But today, speakig with her Psychiatrist, he says he has no idea what the court will do, as there are no guarantees.

I was under the impression that she would be returned to the hospital, and that the process of having her charged, was more or less a paper trail, to what end I don't know, except for future problems the person she assaulted might need, like medical benefits, time off, etc.

If there is anybody that can offer an educated guess as to what the probability, or what the chances are that a person such as my daughter would be sent to jail over this, or, what the court process actually is in dealing with severe mental illness combined with a designation of NCR is, it would really set my mind at ease.

She will not survive in jail.
    Emotional Health Expert

Oct 1, 2010, 01:36 AM
    Just to conclude.

Between information from the Crown Attorney's office, the Ontario Review Board,and the Provincial Patient Advocate, I got the ball rolling in the 11th hour, secured an experienced criminal lawyer, and she was taken to court, and the case was remanded.

Which gives me time for further investigation.

Any advice and/or guidance that can be offered is still, gratefully accepted.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2010, 07:23 AM

Hello Jake:

Sorry to hear about your daughter... It must be tough..

I'd be concerned about the charges.. Cops don't HELP people. They put them in jail. It's NOT just for the record. Good that you hired an attorney.

Frankly, given that she's IN a mental hospital, I can't believe they EVEN charged her... Cops SUCK everywhere.

excon
    Emotional Health Expert

Oct 1, 2010, 07:50 AM
    Thanks for that, I appreciate your words, and I agree with them.

She is safe now, back at the hospital.

I wish I were better with politics.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Canadian Law... or I should say Manitoba [ 1 Answers ]

I just want to know where can I get a book (updated book) about Manitoba Law and Citizen rights without always paying lawyers to give you advice... please do not suggest taking a course because I have been in school long enough and I'm good in self educating... Please anyone give me some good tips!

Canadian law regarding debts [ 10 Answers ]

I was hired to work in the UAE and my contract was for 3 years. I got couple of credit cards while working there. Unfortunately my contract was termminated illegally ( law of termination is 1 year and mine was terminated 18 months after) .I had credit shield with my credit cards and I wrote to the...

Nys law terminating father's rights due to incarceration [ 1 Answers ]

I apologize for the fact that I am see this question is asked frequently, but I have yet to find a similar thread that would relate mostly to my situation. I currently reside in the state of NJ, but have had past family court hearing in the state of NY from when I lived in NY with my two minor...

Canadian law of limitations [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter was arrested in Ontario for shoplifting at age 16. She was there visiting a relative. She is 24 now. She never appeared in court. She left after her vacation and returned home to Alberta. She did not tell me until years later. What does she need to do to clear herself.

Scope of Tiffin Services in DELHI NCR [ 1 Answers ]

I want to start home based tiffi service in delhi ncr for approx 100 nos,please guide me what is minimum capital required and scope of growth of business.

View more questions Search