Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

Sep 27, 2010, 09:15 AM
    What wording should I use for SAHM on a resume? Is humor OK?
    I recognize how competitive and tight today's job market is, and here I am trying to re-enter it... But I am also an exceptional worker, always have been promoted quickly, was self-taught in nearly every job I held prior to (and including) motherhood. But now I face that my job history is 10 years old, some of my old employers are even dead(!) Yet I know my work ethic is exceptional, but how do I get noticed on a stack of job apps or resumes to get to that interview process to show them that? I have been a very involved stay at home mom, supplementing my kid's public educations, feeding a family with a home garden, repairing and remodeling and landscaping homes in major projects (self taught), being a motivator, teacher, personal organizer, motivational speaker, entertainment coordinator, safety officer, etc. etc etc

Should I just list all those job-titles and handle it humorously? I'd really appreciate an actual human resources person who does hiring to give me feedback on what your take would be if you saw such a job app or resume that listed all those titles under one job heading to cover my recent 10 years of employment and then followed with (aka stay at home mom)?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2010, 09:41 AM

Unforunately, when you post on AMHD you don't get to decide who will answer you and what their level of experience is.

That having been said - I run my own business, hire people, have managed law firms, hired people.

I never found "humor" to be effective or appropriate. Your sense of humor very well may not be the same sense of humor as the person reading your resume.

I appreciate you did all these things and more as a stay at home mom - but as a person hiring I am interested in integrity, willingness to learn, skills through education and/or workplace. "Self-taught" skills just don't translate when you are entering the workplace.

I am concerned - based on this thread (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/small-...ml#post2535577) that you get your way, whatever it takes, and that is not going to translate well when you are applying for employment.

Feb 19, 2011, 06:42 PM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    I don't think you have ever read that thread correctly. The local 'honest guy' had used clear bait and switch. I spoke to others who were victims as well. He's too well heeled to fight in court, but court of public opinion was where he lived. It got him to do the RIGHT thing. I in no way was pursuing a wrong thing. Women cry out of traffic tickets is wrong. But I used tears to manipulate a situation that was stacked against me unfairly so I used what tools I had at my female disposal
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2011, 08:40 AM

And I don't think anybody cared enough or had sufficient knowledge or wanted you to dictate who could and could not answer to even address this thread.

Feb 21, 2011, 07:14 AM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    I used to highly respect your answers overall, but I am perplexed as to why you've sought me out to attack me. Do you hate women? OK, not sure WHY you are being so abusive to me? Did I misunderstand something that only lawyers are allowed to post in the legal forum? If that's the case, as you seem to think, then what's wrong with me hoping (your word: dictating--but it's a matter of perspective) that an HR person see this? This is an old thread you had some goal in wanting to rant to me about. Sorry if I have upset you.And this is the truth: I just had 2 employers fighting over me. I have both jobs now, with flex time worked out with one to do the other. I suppose I DO get what I want. Huh... Nevertheless, I will still recommend to anyone reading this that your advice is usually thoughtful and sound. Re; other thread: Should I have let the bad guy make me pay high legal fees to win my case when he was a cheat? Maybe you are an out of work lawyer upset I circumventing legal fees?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I need a best warehouse&logistics resume can anybody make a resume for me? [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2.8 years working experience as warehouse assistant (from 2005 to 2008) in ZYX company,Malaysia and from oct 2009 to till date I am working as warehouse supervisor in XYZ company,saudi arabia based on these details please make a resume for me

Stumped by Wording [ 2 Answers ]

I have problems dealing with word problems and I hope I can get some help in going in the right direction. A telephone bill lists a minimum of $7.50 for first 80 message units. What is the additional cost if it's plus 0.06 per unit for the next 60 units, plus 0.05 per unit for the next 60...

Wedding invitation wording [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all.. My cousin is getting married. Both his parents passed away. Could anybody help with the wording arrangement if he wants to put my uncle's name as a person who representing his parents? Thank you

Invitation Wording [ 1 Answers ]

We are having an evening reception, starting at 7:30. Very small afternoon wedding, very large reception. We are not serving dinner, instead will provide a lot of our favorite appetizers and refreshments (an outlandish list of eclectic items)... A couple of friends have suggested that the...

View more questions Search