Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    weldor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2010, 10:45 AM
    Pros-cons of putting metal roof over existing shingles
    Would there be problems with moisture,or extreme heat issues if installing a metal roof over existing shingles.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2010, 01:04 PM
    No,You would install 2X4's spaced out for support of the metal roof,perhaps a 2X6 treated at the base where the most of the water would be(naturally), the peak would be vented,typical for metal roofs.

The ridges in the metal roofing allows for venting,moisture is the same if you install over sheeting anyway,there is just shingle below it.

I have BID jobs this way,and lost a few,got a few.. I see no big deal to leaving the shingles on.

Just my opinion.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2010, 06:31 PM

The shingles just give your roof a little bit of extra insulation. You might want to add some insulation immediately under the metal roof otherwise you'll be awake at night when it rains hard due to the noise on the metal roof!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to install metal roof over shingles [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know of any online video that would help or have any pointers Thanks cgreer8

Putting metal roof over shingles, do you need to put a vapor lock first [ 2 Answers ]

I have a double wide and want to put a metal roof over existing shingles, I have had two different bids, one with vapor lock and one without, is the vapor lock just an added expense that is not really needed to still have a good roof when we are finished

Metal Roof over existing shingle roof ? [ 6 Answers ]

Hurricane Andrew & Gustav has convinced me to put a metal roof. I'm too old to keep patching shingles. I'm undecided : on using treated 1 x 4 lats directly over shingles (parallel to ridge), screwed to rafters and metal screwed to lats or

Roof/shingles or metal [ 1 Answers ]

I have a roof that drops 9 inches in 13 feet. Can I use regular shingles instead of rolled roofing? If I go with metal panels,can I fasten them right to the new felt or do I need the 3/4 inch strips. ...

What are the Pros and Cons? [ 2 Answers ]

What are Pros and Cons If you finish a Bachelors in Nursing: In the Philippines (4years) Or In the US (LPN to RN to BSN) I am also considering the cost, landing a good job, quality of education and other factors.

View more questions Search