Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dietrballz Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2010, 09:48 PM
    How is brewers yeast different from regular active baking yeast?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2010, 11:23 PM

In brewing, the yeast is given sugars to convert into alcohol and carbon dioxide in the absence of oxygen.

In baking, the yeast is given some starch which is breaks down into sugars using its enzymes and in the dough, since there is a lack of oxygen, they convert those sugars into alcohol and carbon dioxide.

Those processes are both anaerobic respiration but in the first case, the alcohol produced is used and the carbon dioxide not, whilst in the second case, the carbon dioxide is used (to make bread soft) and the alcohol is not used (it's evaporated in the oven).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yeast Infection. [ 3 Answers ]

Ok so I'm more than 90% sure that I have a yest infection... after reading about what yeast infections are I found out that they're fungal infections; so I was wondering if a cream I got for a fungal infection (and I researched the cream to).. could be used to help treat the yeast infection as...

Yeast infections [ 1 Answers ]

Can schederma cream be used to treat yeast infections

Yeast infection? [ 4 Answers ]

OK, so I'm a 15 yr old girl, who has never had sex. And for the past couple days, I have noticed a discharge from my vagina. And it has been itchy and its really swollen. I didn't pay any attention to it, but now I'm not feeling well. With all I learned in school, the first thing that came to mind...

Yeast? But no discharge [ 1 Answers ]

About a week ago, I noticed a slight painful burning when I peed, I figured it was a UTI, because I've had one before, and it went away. There was also a slight pain when I had sex with my boyfriend. Now, there is irritation in my vulva/vagina, sex is painful again, but there is no discharge or...

BV and yeast [ 2 Answers ]

What other alternative treatments can one take for a persistent yeast infection and BV. Antibiotics and Diflucan don't work.

View more questions Search