Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LadyBeckstah4 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2010, 03:34 PM
    English law student, can I move to and practice in America?
    Hi, I'm unsure if this is in the right section...

I am an undergraduate Law student in England in my second year. After a lot of thinking I have decided I would definitely pursue my Law career (I want to be a defence barrister) in America after getting my degree.

I would like to know what would be the next step, would I do a masters there or do a bar exam? How would I apply? Roughly how much it would cost me? Whether I would need to take further study in this country before moving there? Whether it is even possible? Basically.any useful information anyone has for me, as I am now very excited by the prospect and want to do as much preparation as possible.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 25, 2010, 04:31 PM

You would have to learn law al over again in many ways. In America we don't have Barristers. We have Lawyers / Attorneys. And our law is split into several branches with a seciality in those branches. Also laws are state specific. So passing the barr in one state does not apply in another. As far as cost goes that varies also.
    happymg Posts: 5, Reputation: -1

Oct 24, 2010, 10:11 AM
    Rules regarding admission to practice law in the US vary from state to state. New York (NY) seems to be the most open state in admitting foreigners to practice law in its jurisdiction. As long as your foreign legal education in the common law is comparable to the US legal education in terms of duration and substance (i.e. 3 or 4 years of law school), you can qualify to take the NY bar. After you graduate, you can have your credentials (i.e. certificate and transcript) evaluated in advance by the NY State Board of Law Examiners to see if this would be enough. See nybarexam.org for more details.

I think the new fee right now for foreigners to take the NY bar is $750. To prepare for the exam, you can enroll in one of the many bar review courses offered out there. This costs something like $2,000 - 3,000.

A lot of foreigners go via the LLM in the US route first before taking the NY bar. Although it may not be necessary especially if you're already qualified to take it, this certainly has its advantages, such as familiarizing yourself with the US legal system and getting you a proper visa with an option for internship and maybe further employment later on.

I hope this helps.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 24, 2010, 10:17 AM

You may practice law of your nation here ( help people who are from your country in legal matters of your nation)

To practice law here you will after graduation with your law degree there, have to pass the BAR exam in the specific state you wish practice in. ( if you wish to live in New York you have to pass the NY bar exam, if you want to practice in Georgia, you have to pass the GA bar exam)

You can Google the Bar Exam and the State Bar Association for the state you want to practice in, for their specific requirements.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What states can you practice law with a felony? [ 2 Answers ]

I have two poss. Of cocaine charges one in 2004 and one in 2008. What states can I practice law in?

Move-up america [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone heard of www.moveupprogam.com or move-up america? Would trading in your old home to buy a new one work with these types of programs?

Post dated cheques--recourse against wrong practice by some BANKS in AMERICA [ 5 Answers ]

I shall be out of station for 6 months and am required to make some monthly payments like for future rent,electricity,water,telephone insurance,etc. If I issue post dated cheques , as per the due dates of payments, to be paid against my future monthly salary to be credited to my bank a/c every...

English conversation practice [ 16 Answers ]

Can anybody help me to improve my English by talking? I'm a Spanish girl who is studying to become English teacher And... I will really appreciate your help. We can talk about any topic ;)Thanks!

Moonbats v Move America Forward [ 6 Answers ]

It will be another noisy day in Berkeley, Calif. as pro-military and anti-war protesters gather outside the city council chamber to weigh in on three anti-military resolutions the council passed last month. Move America Forward, a pro-troop group, is leading a contingent of pro-military and...

View more questions Search