Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scri8e Posts: 92, Reputation: 7

Dec 29, 2006, 10:35 AM
    Replace shower Plumbing Valve assembly shower head 2 knobs
    In a fiberglass corner shower shell.
    What I have is an old leaking rusted
    Shower valve assembly. It leaks from the
    Shower head that is a hand sprayer with a wall mount from the sprayer. It also leaks around the both the hot and cold water wall mount knobs. The cold water knob the sleeve that is against the wall hangs loose. Won't stay put.

So I need to replace the shower faucet/knobs/valves behind the fiberglass shell without damaging the fiberglass hopefully?

Can I buy the assembly complete?
    It is called a??

What is my best plan of attack to get the shower valve assembly out of the fiberglass wall?

I need to shut the water off for the building because it being a shower it has no shut off valve like you have for a bathroom sink or toilet. Unless I can turn off the water to that unit by??
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 29, 2006, 04:49 PM
    "What is my best plan of attack to get the shower valve assembly out of the fiberglass wall? "

Open up the wall behind the shower enclosure.

"Can I buy the assembly complete?"

No, each shower is a little different from valve to drop eared ell, so the shower raiser is always added. Good luck, Tom
    scri8e Posts: 92, Reputation: 7

Dec 29, 2006, 05:16 PM
    So just go in from the bedroom wall from the gate is the best way to get this done right then? Don't even mess with going in on the fiberglass /inside the shower side until I am buttoning up the shower head and knobs.

How can I cap off the water in the shower wall so I can work and not have the water to the whole property turned off while I re-construct the assembly needed for the repair? With a hardware/plumbing supply store stop in the middle. I don't know the correct term, with slip valves/caps?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 29, 2006, 05:26 PM
    So just go in from the bedroom wall from the gate is the best way to get this done right then? Don't even mess with going in on the fiberglass /inside the shower side until I am buttoning up the shower head and knobs.

Yes!

How can I cap off the water in the shower wall so I can work and not have the water to the whole property turned off while I re-construct the assembly needed for the repair?

Shut the water off to the house and install ball inline valves on the supplies next to the floor. When you drywall in the back wall leave a access hole to get into the shut off valves if needed.
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rain shower head & handheld shower head problem [ 4 Answers ]

I have a shower with 2 pipes for showers heads (one on the wall in front, and one on a side wall). The wall in front has a rain shower head on it. The wall to the side has a hand held shower head attached. The pipe with the hand held shower attached has a push button valve to turn the handheld on...

Correct plumbing of a shower valve [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a single handle shower valve and the hot and cold inlets are not marked. Is the hot ALWAYS the left and cold ALWAYS the right? Thanks for your help

Shower Pipe Drips When Shower Head is Removed [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I keep buying new hand held showers heads that leak from the hose. I buy Delta brand. After I installed a new one yesterday, it started leaking from the hose again. Today I took off the entire shower head and see that from the pipe that comes out from the wall, it drips water at a pretty...

Shower knobs leaking water [ 1 Answers ]

I can not stop the hot and cold water knobs in my shower from leaking water when turned on. I even replaced the complete stem unit ( think called a cartridge). Did I forget to do something?

Leaking diverter valve and shower head [ 1 Answers ]

I have a leak in my tenants apt. (2 family house). I do not know when it started, found it when they moved out. Water was leaking continuously from the shower head... the diverter valve knob is missing and if you use a screwdriver, you can "divert" the leak from the shower head to the faucet. It...

View more questions Search