Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2010, 09:40 AM
    Reflections on Rebuilding Alternators
    Most alternator problems involve worn brushes and/or the voltage regulator.

Having rebuilt numerous alternators, over the years, I've come to a conclusion. From an engineering design and maintenance point of view, alternators in American cars are better than most Japanese imports. The key difference is the location of the slip rings. On most American alternators, the slip rings are located behind the rear bearing. This allows the voltage regulator/brush holder assembly to be changed in minutes, even on American cars with an internal regulator. On many Japanese alternators, it's very difficult to replace brushes and the voltage regulator. The whole alternator needs to be torn down, brushes need to be unsoldered/resoldered, and the voltage regulator replaced. Instead of a 5-minute job, on the car, it ends up taking many hours to remove and service the alternator.

Keep in mind that you can rebuild an alternator, including bearings, brushes, and voltage regulator, for 1/10th (or less) the cost a remanufactured one. Many "remanufactured alternators" don't even come with new bearings.

Check out some similar questions!

New diesel engine 6.0 now eats alternators [ 1 Answers ]

WE have a 2003 diesel with the second 6.0 engine in now. Ever since the new engine has been put in we have had alternator problems. We just put the fourth one on this morning and it still won't start. Garage says we may have gotten a bad one but this same thing happened three months ago brought...

How long do alternators last? [ 3 Answers ]

I was just wondering if I was stupid to replace a well functioning alternator: My husband has a 94 Dodge Dakota truck with 99,000 miles on it and a dead battery. I jumped it and brought it to the repair shop. They put in a new battery but said they were getting low readings when the AC and lights...

Reflections in Graphs [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, could somebody steer me in the right direction into doing this. The graph with equation y=x^2+2x-8 is reflected in the y-axis then reflected in the x-axis. I don't get this part because it involved two reflections. I am only used to doing one. Thanks

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.