Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vasiejo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2010, 06:29 AM
    Chair Railings installation height
    I'm looking to install chair railings for decorative purposes only. I have a 9ft floor to ceiling dimension. Keeping in theory I am installing at a 36" height. On one wall i have a fireplace mantel and 36" is fine . But I have a problem with two other walls, because installing at 36" would put my chair railings under window instead of to the side of window casings. If I install higher it will be too high next the mantel. What would be the lesser of two evils.
    gjdulian Posts: 46, Reputation: 12

Sep 24, 2010, 06:36 AM
    How high above the floor are the bottoms of the windows?
    gjdulian Posts: 46, Reputation: 12

Sep 24, 2010, 06:56 AM
    To begin, a fireplace is generally an important visual focus point for the room. I would definitely make it look as good as possible.

The general rule of thumb is one third of the distance from the floor to the ceiling. In your case, as you said, it would be three foot because you have 9 foot ceilings. However, that isn't a hard and fast rule. If three foot puts you against the bottom of the window, and you don't like that look, consider dropping the chair rail a few inches to leave some space between the bottom of the window and the chair rail. (It will look better, visually.)

Normal chair rail height is 32 to 36 inches off the ground. I would try to stay in that range, or it will look a bit 'off.'

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chair rail height [ 3 Answers ]

My walls are 104" in height, do I split that in half and hang my chair rail or can I come from the floor up 4' and hang the chair rail or come up from the base board and hang it 4'.

Chair rail height [ 1 Answers ]

We are doing a nursery for our soon to be daughter and we want to hang a chair rail molding in her room. I don't want it to be the regular height, I want it to be almost the height of the top of the door and windows.. Can you tell me some heights?

Chair Rail Height [ 3 Answers ]

What is the correct height for a chair rail?

Chair rail moulding height [ 2 Answers ]

How high should chair rail moulding be mounted in the dining room ? Thanks

View more questions Search