Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Sep 24, 2010, 06:28 AM
    Can't Login Locally after Remote Desktop Session
    Hi,

I have a problem with a new windows 7 laptop. It logs on to the (2003) domain perfectly on site, then when it is working remotely it will first log on locally fine (using cached credentials), from there we can open up the remote desktop connection and that works. Then when the computer is shut down and restarted the local password is not accepted anymore.

No password changes have happened during any of the sessions, it just refuses to accept the password.

Also it doesn't necessarily do this the first time remote desktop or the VPN is used but within the first few times.

Any ideas anyone?
    NairobiPOD Posts: 21, Reputation: 4

Sep 26, 2010, 09:36 AM
    If a computer is not connected to the domain network the credentials of a domain user that was logged in once are cached locally as you said.
    So the domain-user should still be able to login when the computer cannot connect to a domain-controller.
    But this only works several times, after a while the client-computer needs to refresh the users information from a dc.
    Can't tell exactly how many times a user can login before that happens, but I think it was after 10 logins.

You can check/modify that if you run gpedit.msc then go to:
    Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policy\Security Options\Interactive Logon:...
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Sep 27, 2010, 10:31 AM

Hi NairobiPOD, thanks for that suggestion, I didn't consider that angle.

Do you know whether this is a recent vista/windows 7 thing as I know a lot of xp machines that are fine being away from the domain for months at a time.

I will look in to this...
    NairobiPOD Posts: 21, Reputation: 4

Sep 29, 2010, 01:49 PM
    It's a setting in any WindowsOS that is joined into a domain (2000, Vista, 7, 2003, 2008) except home editions.
    But I think this setting of the local policy can be overruled by the Domin-GPO if the value is set there.

Let me know if it was the cause.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remote desktop [ 1 Answers ]

How do I connect to remote desktop?

Remote Desktop [ 2 Answers ]

How do I use remote desktop over a LAN. The system I'm trying to connect to is running windows home edition, while the system I'm connecting from is running professional. Second is that the two systems are on different ip ranges but all of the same lan. I was able to establish a connection but...

Using XP Remote desktop, and or assistant [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to connect to a friends computer via remote desktop, he has sent the invite, I have tried to log on, but it keepds coming back with an error of unresolved host name, I need to get this working so I can repair his system. The other way remote assistant doesn't seem to work. He is not...

View more questions Search