Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gingernutsnaps Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2010, 02:07 PM
    I was born in Germany to a German mother, do I qualify for a German passport?
    I was born in Germany in 1991 on a German mother and a British father. I've lived in the UK since I was a couple months old and I am now 19, because we lived in the UK my mother didn't want things to get complicated with aplying for passports so she only let me have a British one instead of a German one. I heard Germany doesn't recognise dual nationality, is this still true? I didn't think it was.
    Do I qualify for a German passport? If I do, would I be able to keep my British one or not?
    dano808080 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2010, 04:34 PM
    Yes, if you have one German parent, you have German citizenship, regardless of where you were born.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_nationality_law
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Sep 24, 2010, 08:56 AM

A child born to an American parent and a German parent acquires both American and German citizenship at birth, regardless of place of birth. Neither country requires a person born under these circumstances to choose between American and German citizenship. They may keep both for life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My mother was born in germany do I qualify for a german passport [ 1 Answers ]

My mother was born in what was East Germany, she came to Canada at the age of ten as a refugee, she is now a Canadian Citizen and was when I was born in Calgary, AB Canada in 1974. Both my grandparents were also German but became Canadian. Do I qualify for a german passport, or a dual citizenship.

Mother German- do I qualify for German passport? [ 2 Answers ]

My mother who is now deceased was born in Germany. She obtained American citizenship. Is there any chance that I can obtain a German passport?

US Citizen born in Germany--Can she get German Passport? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, Just a quick question about obtaining a German passport: My wife was born in Nuremberg, Germany. Her father was in the U.S. Army and stationed there at the time. She only has a USA passport. Is it possible for her to get a German passport, since she was born there? Thanks in...

View more questions Search