Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Itsanecho Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2010, 11:17 AM
    Hampton Bay ceiling fan lights flashing
    I was changing a light bulb in my hampton bay ceiling fan, as I took the old bulb out, the rest of the lights went dim. Now the fan won't run, and the remaining lights in the fan flash on and off.
    abcdefg321 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Nov 23, 2010, 10:36 AM
    There is a small part in the light kit of the fan connected to the lighting circuit. The part is relatively common to these fans and is most likely in yours as well. The sticker on the side of it shows model 98480X part number 98480-02. Clip the leads to remove this part and wire-nut the wires back together bypassing it (black/red to black and white to white). This will get your unit back to normal and the switches will still work. I spoke with Hunter and this part has nothing to do with the remote control features of the fan. It is a wattage limiter. If you attempt to put bulbs into the fan that are higher than the recommended wattage this unit steps the voltage down to prevent overheating and possible electrical issues. Removing it will not prevent the fan from functioning but you should be aware that it is in there by federal regulation requirement and without it you could risk electrical failure or fire if you put bulbs in that are too high a wattage. If you call the manufacturer to report the issue they will send you a new lighting housing for your unit which will have a new limiter in it and solve your issue as well. In my case I needed the light working so I bypassed it then requested the part. In the meantime I just made sure that the bulbs I was using were well within spec. In my case the limiter was just on the light, but depending on the model or how the wires were nutted together by your electrician if the fan was also nutted on after this device it would certainly have issues as your bulbs would now be limited to the total wattage of the bulbs and fan combined. Hope this helps all!
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2010, 04:46 PM

Is it a remote fan?
    Ajdre Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2011, 04:49 PM
    Hampton Bay - Bay Island II ceiling fan. The lights would come on and then immediately turn off and I would hear a clicking sound. The fan would still work fine but no lights. The bulbs were well within the wattage limit (3 x 40watt - limit was 190w) Removed the wattage limiter and hey presto, it now works fine.
    The wattage limiter part number was : e216171 / Model PL-190B. It is a black box with 3 wires coming out of it, and has circuitry inside it.
    I was nervous about doing this & took my time tracing the wires back.
    Remember to flick the circuit breaker off before cutting any wires!
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 4, 2011, 02:04 AM
    Bad advice. You are tampering with the manufacturer's design and usually, at a minimum that will immediately void any warranty remaining on the fan and also hold you liable for the damages if the change you made creates a dangerous condition.

Contact the manufacturer of the fan before you redesign its electrical circuits.
    Ajdre Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2011, 05:36 AM
    donf : This was the manufactures advice, I called them before I did anything. They are sending me a new light kit as well.

Either I changed the part or sat in the dark waiting for a new light kit.

I agree that you should always contact the manufactures first.
    FStephenMasek Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2012, 06:45 PM
    George Orwell saw it coming - government wattage limiters!

One other problem - these devices emit radio frequency interference (which may violate FCC regulations). I collect and restore old radios, and bought one of these fans for my radio room. I could not understand the delay in the lights coming on when I operated the wall switch, nor the interference. I opened it up today, thinking it might be some sort of defective remote control device which they put in all fans, even if they do not have a remote.
    TimBatro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2012, 11:50 AM
    I had the pulsing lights begin Last Friday on one of my Hunter fans that was almost 2 years old. Hunter Fans acknowledged they have limit switch failures but they don't have a replacement for this $250 model. They siad I needed to purchase a new fan.. This bypass info saves me $$$. Thank you.
    tperkins39 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2013, 08:35 AM
    Having the same issue and would like to re-wire. Can you tell me what you did? I have 3 wires, red, white, & blue

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay ceiling fan lights & fan not operating [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, appreciate any help. It just stop working can't honestly say what stop working first or if it happened at the same time. The switch at the wall is working. So I'm assuming it is getting power? I took the bulbs out and disconneted the lower unit by glance everything appears to be fine. I...

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan for about 15 years. The lights work but the fan doe [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay with a light. The light works but the fan does not. I can feel a slight hum of the motor and sometimes it appears the blades may move a bit but really there is nothing. It is about 15 yrs old. I have another one like this, same age and it works fine. Before I start taking...

New hampton bay ceiling fan two lights out [ 1 Answers ]

I just purchased a hampton bay carriage house II ceiling fan. As I installed each section, I checked and rechecked wires and fitament being careful not damage anything. When I turned on the fan, only 2 lights worked (opposite sides of each other). I removed the bulbs of the non working and replaced...

Lights on Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Malfunctioning [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old Hampton Bay 52" ceiling fan, model either 523 or 905 (manual written for both). The fan and light are operated from a hand-held remote control only (no controls on the fan itself). The fan still works fine on all 3 speeds, as well as the reverse function, but the lights will...

Hampton bay ceiling fan with lights [ 5 Answers ]

Model - Portland -52 inch I installed the ceiling fan and lights The fan works perfectly the lights do not come on Now what?

View more questions Search