Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joserman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2010, 09:15 AM
    I am being sued by a collection agency, received cert letter 9/22
    What should I do, I never received any correspondence that I know of until yesterday.

1. Is it to late to ask for validation of debt?
    2. Should I call them?
    3. The summons said I have 35 days from what date, the date I signed for the letter or the file date?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 23, 2010, 09:24 AM
    1. Is it to late to ask for validation of debt?
    No.

2. Should I call them?
    No. You generally want to keep a paper trail of everything.

3. The summons said I have 35 days from what date, the date I signed for the letter or the file date?
    Letter? You mean the summons?

35 days from the date you were served; which would be the date you received it.

Sep 23, 2010, 09:37 AM
    Comment on AK lawyer's post
    I received the certifed letter yesterday but the file date on the paper is Sep 14, 2010, the 35 days is based on Sep 14 or Sep 22.

Thanks!

Sep 23, 2010, 09:38 AM
    Comment on AK lawyer's post
    The debt is for $2600, what might be a good settlement offer?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 23, 2010, 09:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by josermaqn
    I received the certifed letter yesterday but the file date on the paper is Sep 14, 2010, the 35 days is based on Sep 14 or Sep 22. Thanks!
    joserman agrees
    joserman : The debt is for $2600, what might be a good settlement offer?
    Please don't follow up with the "comments on this post" feature. That is for another purpose.

35 days from September 22nd would be October 13th. On or before that date you should file an answer.

Hard to say what would be a good offer. It depends on your ability to pay.

If it's a collection agency, they often aren't interested in entertaining offers for anything less than the entire amount owed. Come up with something reasonable, that you can handle; say 1/2 the amount owed up front and the rest at so much per week.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to do if sued by collection agency [ 1 Answers ]

I just found out I will be served with papers being sued by a collection agency is there any way I can call the collection agency or the lawyer representing them and pay it in full without going to court

Received summons from collection agency [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks in advance to any who can offer help. Recently we moved out of our rental but drove by to pick up any remaining mail. In the mail box was a copy of a summons from mann bracken LLP for Target National Bank for debt collection. We moved on of the rental on 10/2, so the house was vacant....

Being sued by a collection agency. [ 24 Answers ]

Ok, I though I had this all figured out, and how I was going to handle it. Now I am not sure. Back in September of 07 I received a summons, and a complaint on account. I answered the complaint on account, and sent them a list of questions to validate this debt. Then in Feb of 08, I got a...

Being sued by collection agency [ 2 Answers ]

I am from Illinois and I was summons to court last month got there late so a judgement was put against me. Court was still in session when I got there. When I saw a lawyer walk out I asked if my name was already called she went and checked and she told me I had a judgement against me I explained to...

View more questions Search