Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Captain_Brown Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2006, 05:37 AM
    Cancer
    I am a 12 year old Autistic (Asperger's) female, and I have been noticing some things going on with my right breast lately. It looks like it has been bruised up, my nipple is wrinked. I have been noticing discharge on my breast. I have had my meds. Switched from Risperdal to Geodon. Which Risperdal has a side effect of Breast Discharge. It stopped like I thought it would, but it came back. My breast is red on the front of my breast. I did a self-breast check, and I felt a bump in there. When I feel the bump, it becomes very sore. Should I take action, or not?
    bkdaniels Posts: 140, Reputation: 12

Dec 29, 2006, 08:00 AM
    Without examination, we cannot speculate on whether these observations are concerning or whether they are characteristics of normal anatomy. If you are concerned, you should see your doctor for examination.

However, there is no reason for you to worry. During the reproductive years, Fibrocystic changes can occur in either or both breasts and are considered a normal variation of breast tissue.

This does not mean that you have breast cancer, nor does it increase your risk for breast cancer. Nevertheless, however, it is up to your Physician or Health Care Provider to interpret lumps that you or your doctor find on exam.

Watery, bloody, pink discharge from the nipple discharge can be a sign of breast cancer in so little cases, that you would be lucky to have them, but this must be evaluated by your doctor. Even though fuid discharge from the breast is only rarely an indication of something serious, I would encourage you to seek evaluation with your healthcare provider to be on the safe side.

Consumer drug information do not list any of these symptoms as side effects, but as Medical personnel, we are aware of a wide spectrum of lifestyle, dietary, environmental and drug factors at play and discharge from the nipple and wrinkled and bruised nipples are symptoms more commonly associated with injury. Therefore a biopsy may be needed to determine if these symptoms, including lump or bump, are that that young girls often develop ("breast buds") just before the beginning of puberty or not.

Hope this answer your question!

REFERENCE(S)

1. Dixie Mills, MD, FACS, 2006. The many causes of breast discharge — what are your nipples trying to tell you?

2. MedlinePlus, 2005. MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia: Breast lump
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 29, 2006, 08:32 AM
    Captain_Brown, I will answer your question in a way that you can understand. I know you are only 12 years old, so some words might be a little confusing to you, so I will try to make it easy.

First of all, you are only 12 and most likely you are just starting to develop your breasts. Many times girls get little things in their breasts that feel like little "rocks" or "pebbles" this all has to do with your breast development. With this symptom alone you probably do not have breast cancer.

I do not see in any of my medical books where Risperdal has a side effect of discharge, but your pharmacist may know better.

The symptoms you are describing do describe breast cancer, I had it, I should know. However, you are very young and I am not sure what your chances are at your age.

If you really do have all of these symptoms you need to get your Mom or Dad to make a doctor's appointment and have the doctor evaluate you.

Dec 29, 2006, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Captain_Brown, I will answer your question in a way that you can understand. I know you are only 12 years old, so some words might be a little confusing to you, so I will try to make it easy.

First of all, you are only 12 and most likely you are just starting to develop your breasts. Many times girls get little things in their breasts that feel like little "rocks" or "pebbles" this all has to do with your breast development. With this symptom alone you probably do not have breast cancer.

I do not see in any of my medical books where Risperdal has a side effect of discharge, but your pharmacist may know better.

The symptoms you are describing do describe breast cancer, I had it, I should know. However, you are very young and I am not sure what your chances are at your age.

If you really do have all of these symptoms you need to get your Mom or Dad to make a doctor's appointment and have the doctor evaluate you.

My phychiatrist told me it did. Anyway, I have talked to Mom. Dad doesn't know a darn thing about women's issues, and it seems like a cyst to Mom. Thanks for your help.
    Expert

Dec 29, 2006, 11:02 AM
    Your psychiatrist may know the effects of Risperdal better, I was just looking in the 2007 Mosby's Nursing Drug Reference, and it did not say anything about breast discharge, it only stated that you should not use it during lactation (breast feeding).

Even if it is a cyst, it should get looked at. Like I said, chances are you are too young for breast cancer, but that is what the docs told me and I had it. But I was 32 at the time.

Ask your mom to make an appointment with your doctor to be sure.

Dec 29, 2006, 12:27 PM
    Your psychiatrist may know the effects of Risperdal better, I was just looking in the 2007 Mosby's Nursing Drug Reference, and it did not say anything about breast discharge, it only stated that you should not use it during lactation (breast feeding).

Even if it is a cyst, it should get looked at. Like I said, chances are you are too young for breast cancer, but that is what the docs told me and I had it. But I was 32 at the time.

Ask your mom to make an appointment with your doctor to be sure.
    I go to the doctor tomorrow, so there's nothing to worry about. It felt like a tumor is why I had made this post.
    Expert

Dec 29, 2006, 01:40 PM
    Please let us know what the doctor says.

I hope everything goes well for you.

Dec 30, 2006, 06:30 PM
    Please let us know what the doctor says.

I hope everything goes well for you.
    Mom didn't find anything wrong. It was the breast tissue I felt.
    Expert

Dec 30, 2006, 06:32 PM
    Oh, good, that is what we really felt all along isn't it?

Thank you for updating me. I was a little concerned about you.

You say you have Aspergers? You must be VERY high functioning. You can help many on this site I am sure.

Do a search for Aspergers on the site and see what you come up with. I am sure you're advice for others could be very valuable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Prostate cancer [ 3 Answers ]

Im not concerned that I have it I just want to educate myself. Is prostate cancer lumps on the balls or like a lumpy substance in your ball sack?

Help! Thyroid Cancer? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband had thyroid cancer ! He had radiation therapy and also had his thyroid removed! Can this cause him to become infertile? I need to know!

Dog cancer [ 1 Answers ]

My 4 yr-old ****zu/Maltese was found to have a lump on her side in May 06. After several visits and different courses of antibiotics over a 2-month period, the affected area just would not heal completely. Then, another lump was discovered on the other side of her body. This time she was taken to a...

Lymphnode cancer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi There Recently a girlfriend of mine was diagnosed with Lymphnode cancer and has a growth that started growing behind her ear. Her doctor is arranging to have surgery done on the growth soon, as it is causing her severe pain because its attached to muscles in her neck. My question is that with...

Cancer and edema [ 1 Answers ]

A friend just had a huge tumor removed and has a colostomy bag. Several small tumors were left in, figuring chemo would take care of them. She is now experiencing terrible edema in her legs, feet and abdomen. What is causing this and how should it be properly treated? Does it have anything to...

View more questions Search