Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lethalan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2010, 02:30 PM
    Can I date my first cousin
    Hi,

I just need someone's advice on the matter I've been talking to my cousin a lot recently and we have bonded more than the phrase suggests we love each other but the problem is we are blood related so we don't know what to do I want to get with her I love her but she doesn't want to upset anyone I also need to know it it's legal seeing as I'm 18 and she's 15 this October I really don't know what to do if anyone can give me any advice at all please I need help.

Regards,
    Robert
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2010, 03:21 PM

Find someone else. I'm sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear, but first cousin is too close to date, and the difference in age is too big at this stage for a good relationship. And as you mentioned, it's not even legal.

Go and date someone else, someone who is your own age. It probably won't be the love of your life, but it will give you some space. It really is not fair of you to involve a 15 year old girl in anything at this stage.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 22, 2010, 04:02 PM

Incest is what I am thinking. I know, I know.. incest between siblings, etc.

But this is just sick. You are 18 and she is currently 14. If it weren't even for the blood relations, this is still illegal due to your ages.
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Sep 22, 2010, 04:11 PM

Hello Robert,

This is wrong on so many levels. First, she is a minor (14) and you are considered an adult. If you two were to engage in sexual activities, you could be arrested.

Also, even if she were of age, the fact that you want to be with your first cousin is beyond me. Think of the damage this would cause between you, her, and family.

Sorry to sound so blunt.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2010, 04:53 PM

Both of you need to look at the repercussions this will have on your families. You are too old for her and you could find yourself breaking up a family. You are thinking of what you want. It's sick and perverted. Once you break both families apart it will never be the same.

You could also go to jail. Her father finds out.. what in the world will he do? Think about this.
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Sep 22, 2010, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    Both of you need to look at the repercussions this will have on your families. You are too old for her and you could find yourself breaking up a family. You are thinking of what you want. It's sick and perverted. Once you break both families apart it will never be the same.

You could also go to jail. Her father finds out..what in the world will he do? Think about this.
    I agree here. Had to spread the rep.

I think that the op should just remain quiet about this, and hopefully his little infatuation will subside.

Some things are better left unsaid.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 22, 2010, 07:00 PM

Currently about 20 states in the US allow first cousins to marry.
    It is also more common in some other cultures.
    In general ( don't have the links) many studies show that there is not a large increase of risk for births between first cousins.

I have my personals issues with it, but it is more common than some realise.

What I have the issue with mostly is the age difference where one is just a child and too easily controlled by a older person.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2010, 05:43 AM

I had some Egyptian friends who had an arranged marriage and were first cousins. But if you're from the US it's illegal because of the age difference, and in 30 states would also be illegal because it would be considered incest.

Whether there would be genetic issues if you had children would depend on your personal genetics.

This is not at all a boundary I would cross - either the age or the cousin thing would creep me out, and combined, it's really not at all right.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My date of birth is 22-06-1981 and time is 7:00 pm tell me marrige date and year [ 5 Answers ]

I want know about my marrige, because am 29 years old. I want to know resaon.

F-1 to H-1, what's the start date of H-1? Should be approval date or visa issue day? [ 3 Answers ]

As I mention before, I changed from F-1 to H-1 last year. I got my H-1 status in Feb 2004, but I went to my home country to get the H-1 visa stamp in August 2004. So I would like to know for counting my H-1 status, is it the date that USCIS (the Immigration) approved (which is Feb 1st), or the...

View more questions Search