Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dec.shines Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2010, 10:33 AM
    Rights of step-father vs biological father upon mothers death.
    I would like to know if there is any way in which I can assure that my 7 year old son will remain with my husband if something were to happen to me? Biological father is in military and has paid child support as ordered, he has not made any effort in the last 3 years to contact our son and before that it was minimal at best (we were divorced 3.5 years ago legally but he left when our son was 2 with his mistress). My husband has been "daddy" for 2 years and has been in my sons life since he was 3. This is the only family he has really known, I am certain that the biological father would not want to relinquish paternal rights over his ego. I want to know what I can do to ensure that if something were to happen to me that he would not be torn away from the only family he has really known.
    Thank you for your time.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Sep 23, 2010, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dec.shines View Post
    I would like to know if there is any way in which I can assure that my 7 year old son will remain with my husband if something were to happen to me?
    Legally-not.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 23, 2010, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dec.shines View Post
    ... Biological father is in military and has paid child support as ordered, he has not made any effort in the last 3 years to contact our son and before that ...
    Depending on what state you are in, consent of the father to adoption might not be required if it is determined that he has "abandoned" his child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Does a step father have rights if no father is listed on birth certificate [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter is 8yrs and my husband has been the one that has taken care of her since she was 2 yrs. Her bio father isn't listed on her because but we have had a dna test done. He doesn't want to be part of her life but doesn't know if he wants to sign over his rights! Does my husband have any...

What rights does the biological father have over the legal father? [ 1 Answers ]

My baby is 1 year old now. My husband has taken my son on as his own. He has been on his birth certificate since he was about 2 weeks. The biological pretty much kicked me to the curb when I was 2 months pregnant and now he thinks after doing this that he can come and be a part of my sons life...

Father and son mourning mothers death [ 3 Answers ]

A hunting trip between a father and son (Maybe 10) takes place around thanksgiving and both are mourning the passing of the son's mother. During the trip there are flash backs to when the mother was alive. The story is told through the son. In the end the son and father bond and realize they...

Non-biological father wanting to sign off rights so the biological father [ 15 Answers ]

I was pressured into signing as the father to my now ex girlfriends baby, she's now back with the biological father and we're trying to find out how I can sign the rights over so that the biological father can have rights of his baby. How would we go about signing off my rights, and would anything...

Adoption from biological Father to Step Father [ 5 Answers ]

Hello: One of my employees has children by her now husband and former husband. Her present husband wants to adopt her two children from her former husband. The biological Father is willing to relinquish his rights. She wants to draw up the papers without an Attorney because of the cost. If...

View more questions Search