Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 22, 2010, 10:27 AM
    Obamacare revisited, with a sidestep
    As predicted by sighted persons, Insurance companies are declining to take the role of paying for nanny-state laws.

washingtonpost.com

Meanwhile, the voters still have to pay up.

Zirkelbach added that in 2014, when similar protections kick in for all individuals with preexisting conditions, virtually all Americans will be required to get health insurance.

With no such mandate currently in place, however, the result over the next several years could be that the pool of children insured by child-only plans would rapidly skew toward those with expensive medical bills, either bankrupting the plans or forcing insurers to make up their losses by substantially increasing premiums for all customers
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2010, 10:44 AM

The Dems will spin this as 'evil greedy insurance companies'. But the truth is that what they are dropping is "child only "contracts. Children will still be covered on parents contracts by these companies.

The point to be made here is that the only reason they are eliminating these contracts is because of the prohibition of pre-condition clauses in Obamacare .

This indeed was the desired result of the elimination of the precondition clauses. Some will call this an 'unintended consequence' . I don't.

Because of this ,more children will be forced onto the taxpayer subsidized public option government plan... and that was the plan.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2010, 11:28 AM

The more you know...

For once I can say Pelosi was right, she said we'd have to pass the bill to know what we'll get and that keeps proving to be true.

Good timing on the announcement, too, Obama is setting out to (literally) preach the gospel of Obamacare:

Barack Obama seeks divine intervention on health care reform

With nothing else working, President Barack Obama is asking religious leaders to help him sell the public on health care reform.

POLITICO listened in to an Oval Office conference call Tuesday, where Obama, alongside other top administration officials, beseeched thousands of faith-based and community organizations to preach the gospel on new insurance reforms, chiefly the Patients’ Bill of Rights.

“Get out there and spread the word,” Obama told leaders from across the religious spectrum on the conference call, organized by Health and Human Services Center for Faith-Based and Community Partnerships.

“This is something that we’ll be able to look back on, just like we do on Medicare and Social Security, as a cornerstone that improves the security of millions of Americans, at the same time lowers costs and gets control of costs, both at the government level, but also for families and businesses," he added.

Obama instructed faith leaders to treat the new law as settled fact and use their perches of power to convey that message to congregants and friends.

“The debate in Washington is over, the Affordable Care Act is now law... I think all of you can be really important validators and trusted resources for friends and neighbors, to help explain what’s now available to them,” he said.

The call included the administration’s highest-ranking health reform officials: Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, White House Office of Health Reform director Nancy Ann-DeParle, Health and
    Oh the irony... I thought the left wanted to keep politics out of the pulpit.
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 22, 2010, 03:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    .I thought the left wanted to keep politics out of the pulpit.
    I was kind of disabused of that notion the first time Reverend Jackson ran for Pres.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 22, 2010, 05:47 PM

Carter was an ordained Minister.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2010, 07:26 PM

Hello Cats:

What I don't understand, is WE, as a community, are WILLING to pool our resources to help our neighbor when he has a fire in his house, but YOU'RE not willing to do the same thing when he has a fire in his stomach, or his pancreas, or maybe his heart.

You don't complain about your SOCIALIZED fire protection. So, you shouldn't complain about your SOCIALIZED health protection. Maybe when YOU have a fire in YOUR belly, you won't.

excon
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2010, 09:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post

Oh the irony...I thought the left wanted to keep politics out of the pulpit.
    I think that is keep the pulpit out of politics, I'm sure a politician is not above speaking from the pulpit to advance his campaign, but let a minister leave his pulpit
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

Sep 22, 2010, 10:10 PM

Ministers are to use their perches, right? Makes them sound like the vulture eying the flock. Obama can spin it any way he wants it appears when it suits him and his agenda. What happened to separation of church and state? Or doesn't this apply? I would think it would - it would if the churches started this.
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

Sep 22, 2010, 10:19 PM

Ministers are to use their perches, right? Makes them sound like the vulture eying the flock. Obama can spin it any way he wants it appears when it suits him and his agenda. What happened to separation of church and state? Or doesn't this apply? I would think it would - it would if the churches started this.
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 23, 2010, 01:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    And we saw how that worked out.

Ex, I might have a different opinion if the law was about health care. It's about health insurance and it's in the process of raising your rates.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2010, 04:16 AM

AT&T, John Deere, Medtronic have all announced that the increased costs directly related to Obamacare is forcing them to lay people off.
    Ex, I might have a different opinion if the law was about health care. It's about health insurance and it's in the process of raising your rates.
    The bill cuts Medicare reimbursements to the tune of over $500 million.
    Before Obamacare there were already a shortage of doctors;especially ones that would accept Medicare patients .Now many doctors are getting into a cash only or getting out of the business altogether .This at at time where Obamacare is going to add 30 million people onto the mandatory insurance pool(or 45 million if you include illegals) .

This is NOT about care. Obamacare adds 6 new Federal agencies and thousands of new Federal Employees. Some of them will be involved in the "cost cutting commissions(aka death panels ). It is a way to further increase the size of the Federal Government.. period .
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2010, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Maybe that's what makes him so awesome as an ex-president.

Carter: I'm "Probably Superior" To Other Former Presidents
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2010, 08:42 AM

Hello again,

It should be noted that I supported health care reform. That, however, may NOT be what we got... But, the truth is, I don't know what we got. No, I didn't read 1200 pages. You didn't either. Do I trust Democrats to have taken a need and fashioned a well crafted law to meet the need?? No, I don't. I could have written a law that met that need in ONE page. The 1200 pages is giving away something to somebody...

So, are these rate hikes a RESULT of the law, or are they a political ploy by the insurance industry to make you THINK it is? I have no idea. Do I believe the insurance companies?? Uhhhh, no.

What's been missing since the bill became law, is the SAME thing that was missing when the bill was being debated. That's COMMUNICATION and GUIDANCE from the leadership. Early on the Republicans seized the conversation and said what they wanted to say, WITHOUT retort. Ain't nothing changed. The insurance companies SAY they need to raise rates, and Obama says NOTHING, other than how wonderful the law is...

excon
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 23, 2010, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    The insurance companies SAY they need to raise rates, and Obama says NOTHING, other than how wonderful the law is....

excon
    And thus their contributions are repaid. Just another wonderful example of Hope and Change.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Alternatives to Obamacare; [ 178 Answers ]

Obamacare, whatever that may be, is unpopular, not cost effective , and offensive to the people it is to care for and from whom paid taxes into this. It is time to move on and look at alternatives to Obamacare and the CURRENT healthcare system we have in place. The ultimate goal being to provide...

Obamacare, good enough for thee - [ 8 Answers ]

But not for Obama himself... During Obama's ratings flop of an infomercial last night, he refused to promise that he would stay within his own health care system if one of his wife or daughters were sick. There you have it, if the president himself won't commit to trusting his own...

Basement bathroom revisited. [ 1 Answers ]

Can the lights and GFCI's be on the same 20 AMP breaker?

Well problems revisited [ 1 Answers ]

A month or so ago I posted a question about my well. The water was cutting on an off and the well was not keeping up. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbing/water-cuting-off-141742.html Week and a half ago the breaker for the well kept tripping. It was a 20 amp two pole breaker. The...

Intermittent freeze up revisited... [ 6 Answers ]

To all: To summarize: the intake, the outflow, freon, etc. have been determined to be fine. I guess what I'm really trying to evaluate is the blower motor itself. It is a multi-speed type, although only 2 speeds are used (med & high). Has anyone experience a motor that intermittently doesn't...

View more questions Search