Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dannyo013 Posts: 23, Reputation: -1

Sep 22, 2010, 09:17 AM
    Can a 16 year old man marry a 23 year old woman in Washington state?
    Im 16 and my girlfriend and I have been talking about marriage laws since I've proposed to her. I need to know if it is legal to marry her. I already know the Washington state law that applies to 16 year olds, but it says nothing about marriage between two separate ages.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 22, 2010, 09:39 AM
    There is one key point you two have not considered, but let me answer your question first. In WA state the legal age to marry is l8; under that age you need parental consent. It doesn't matter that she is 23; now the hard part. Your g/f could be charged with sexual interference of a minor and I am presuming you two have had sex; I don't think anyone is that niave. Of course, if no one finds out she won't be, but if you two try to get married she will. I do have a problem with a sexual relationship between a l6 year old and a 23 year old woman though. Lets hear what others have to say, okay.

Tick

Sep 22, 2010, 10:00 AM
    Comment on tickle's post
    I haven't had sexual relations with my girlfriend up to this point, but thank you for the insight.
    Expert

Sep 22, 2010, 12:33 PM
    You haven't had sexual relations with your g/f ? Tell me another one my dear. Oh, okay, you have decided you and she haven't after you found out she could good to jail for having sex with you.

Tick
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2010, 01:31 PM

Do your parents know about her and how old she is? I believe you have had sex and she's either desperate or she can't get someone her own age. Glad you're not my son. I would be in jail.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Sep 22, 2010, 01:40 PM

Danny, what's the rush to propose and get married?

Long engagements take care of any legal problems and give you both a chance to work on a stable foundation for marriage.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Sep 22, 2010, 02:41 PM

You have proposed to this child molester, you can't support her, you are limited in where you can go with her, you are still in HS (I hope) This woman should be in jail.

I think this may be wishful thinking on your part. Unless this woman is mentally challenged, she knows she cannot marry you without your parents consent, she knows she is breaking the law with you and what in the world would she do with a 16 year old husband.
    Where did you meet this wooman? I hope she is not one of your teachers.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2010, 04:38 PM

I don't understand how a youngster like you could be in love with a 23 year old woman. I should have said a woman who is 23 in years, but apparently isn't mature enough to know she is breaking the law. You better put a stop to it. If you don't you may be visiting her in Prison.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 22, 2010, 07:06 PM

I am not going to jump onto this 16 year old boy, assuming this is a "hot" looking 23 year old, she is mature, has money most likely if she is working, most likely has a car. And for a 16 year old ( what 10th or 11th grade) this is like winning the lottery, all of his friends think he is scoring ( having sex) with a older women, This should make me a "god" or status person in school.

And who would not want to find and get attention from someone that is considered out of their ability.

I have concerns over why this women would do this, but anyway, My blame will go toward a women who knows or should know better, taking emotional advantage of a boy.
    Expert

Sep 22, 2010, 07:41 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    I don't know, Chuck, he seems to write quite well with decent grammar for a l6 year old *shrugging*. More here than meets the eye. Don't think he will be back though.
    dano808080 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2010, 04:43 PM
    No. The age of majority is 18 in Washington. You need the parents consent. Furthermore, no state allows marriages if you are under 18, without parents consent.

Sep 26, 2010, 11:53 AM
    Oh Im back, and I don't appreciate Chucks answer. I don't want to marry her because she is "hot", though she is very beautiful. Im marrying her because I love her more than I ever thought possible, she makes me happier than Ive ever been before.

Sep 26, 2010, 11:54 AM
    Comment on Kitkat22's post
    If we are married, the legal system can't do anything about her and I being together.

Sep 26, 2010, 11:55 AM
    Comment on Cat1864's post
    If you don't mind, I would like a little more information. You may be able to clear some things up for me.

Sep 26, 2010, 11:57 AM
    Comment on Homegirl 50's post
    I have permission from my mother and most of my family. I met her online, though we aren't long distance, just happened to meet that way. Stop calling my fiancé a child molester.

Sep 26, 2010, 11:59 AM
    Comment on Kitkat22's post
    My family knows about our engagement and that Im moving in with her soon. I have permission to marry her from my mother. We haven't had sex, were waiting till marriage so its legal.

Sep 26, 2010, 12:01 PM
    Comment on dano808080's post
    I already knew this, as I stated it above with my question.

Sep 26, 2010, 12:03 PM
    One more thing. I posted this question to get answers to my question, not to be criticized by people that don't know my relationship with my fiancé. In addition, read my comments before posting!
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Sep 26, 2010, 12:06 PM

You are 16 years old, if this is in fact real.
    Are you still in school?
    And whether you want her called that or not, she is a criminal under the law. You are a minor she is an adult.

You may not like the answers you are given but they are good advice. Whether you want to face the fact or not, there is something hinky about a 23 year old woman agreeing to or even wanting to marry a 16 year old boy. What can you contribute to this relationship?
    Leidenschaftlich für Wahr Posts: 243, Reputation: 46

Sep 26, 2010, 12:19 PM

So... you do realize that an older women liking a guy in high school is because she wants to feel adored and worshiped and like she has the upper hand in the relationship right? SO either she is like obese, greasy, and can't get anyone better, OR... you are what is referred to as a "boy-toy". Either way all I can really think to say is "EW." Good day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can a 17 year old buy a car in Washington. State [ 5 Answers ]

Can a 17 year old buy a car. Or can you sell a car to a 17 year old with ouit parents consent

Can a 16 year old girl marry a 22 year old guy? [ 9 Answers ]

Hello my name is estefania. I'm latina and I am sixteen years old and I would like to know if a sixteen year old can marry a twenty two year old guy? And if yes what is needed for the wedding? By the way it's a civil wedding.

View more questions Search