Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barbgra Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2010, 12:26 AM
    Interior paintwork on exterior walls has
    I purchased my top floor flat in a Victorian building and painted over the (refurbished) magnolia coloured interior walls. 2/3 years down the line the interior paint on the exterior walls has blown and erupted. Have treated it for damp/effervescent salts but stilll it keeps erupting! Any ideas please or will I need to have the plaster removed and redone on these walls?
    Thank you
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2010, 03:34 AM
    The outside walls must be allowing for moisture to penetrate through,causing the new paint to blister.

Try looking on the outside for any way for moisture to get through.Windows not sealed properly,bricks with broken mortar lines,flashing not installed properly or not sealed,old paint that has holes or caulk lines not closed,etc.

On an old historic building here in town(the Lincoln Highway Association's, National Headquarters.),the building is of stone,the interior walls are plaster over lathe,in certain areas of the exterior walls,the insides had blistered,the water that penetrates the stone façade allows too much moisture through, and those walls are up to 12" thick.Imagine what a 6" wall might allow if even the smallest opening was not sealed.

Another thing to consider,do you have any pipes in the walls,water lines,exhaust pipes(dryer venting),stacks for the plumbing?

If the pipe boots have failed,water will find it's way to any 'level' surface and stand there.(also chimney flashings)

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parging Exterior Walls. [ 2 Answers ]

I want to parge my exterior walls. However, the previous owners painted the concrete blocks with numerous layers of paint. Unfortunately, nothing I do will fully take the paint off. Do I have to remove the paint before parging and if so any ideas on how to get rid of the paint.

Exterior/interior plans [ 4 Answers ]

I am still having trouble - is this right? It seems to easy to be true. Reynolds Construction Company has agreed not to erect all “look-alike” homes in a new subdivision. Five exterior designs are offered to potential home buyers. The builder has standardized three interior plans that can be...

Interior & exterior snaps [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, sorry for not writing for so long.. my house is under construction.. tell me on which website ill get some beautifull photos of interior as well as exterior designs...

Interior and Exterior Painting [ 15 Answers ]

I am just starting a painting business and I'm trying to figure out how to charge for painting for example a mantle or cabinets. I know wood cabinets will need a primer and two coats of finish. Also on how to charge for windows that have several rows of mulls that need to be painted like a 4 over...

Interior walls [ 6 Answers ]

Is it okay to insulate the interior walls of a basement? How many outlets to a 15 amp and a 20 amp breaker? Is it okay to use 12 gauge wire for the breakers? I'm running wiring to a bath, small kitchen, 1 bedroom, living room and home music studio. And is better to add more outlets to a room or...

View more questions Search