Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fishinco Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2010, 11:11 PM
    Cps harassment
    My brother in law was accused of child abuse of his daughter while staying with us. His ex-wife is claiming a bruise on his daughters leg is abuse. CPS came to our house and asked questions of course. But they wanted to interview our daughters who are 6 and 8. My niece is 3 and states it happened at our house. We don't know how it was done. But there was no abuse. I don't want CPS involving my daughters in the investigation. What are my rights? Can I refuse to let them talk to my daughters on a case that does not involve my direct family?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 22, 2010, 03:46 AM

If it happened under your roof then they may have a right to ask questions but they may also need to start a process too. How big was the bruise and are they currently in a custody battle too?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2010, 06:45 AM

I don't quite understand your position - a child was injured in your house, the event presumably witnessed by your children and you don't want your children to talk to the investigating agency?

What do you see the harm to be to your children if they tell CPS what they witnessed?

If your child were injured would you not want other children who saw what happened to either clear the person being accused or have that person removed from contact with the child?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2010, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fishinco View Post
    My brother in law was accused of child abuse of his daughter while staying with us. His ex-wife is claiming a bruise on his daughters leg is abuse. CPS came to our house and asked questions of course. But they wanted to interview our daughters who are 6 and 8. My neice is 3 and states it happened at our house. We don't know how it was done. But there was no abuse. I don't want CPS involving my daughters in the investigation. What are my rights? Can I refuse to let them talk to my daughters on a case that does not involve my direct family?
    Unfortunately, the case does involve your direct family. If there was abuse, it took place in your home which means your children may have been witnesses to it. I'm not saying your brother-in-law is guilty, but you have to look at it how CPS sees it; they don't know your brother-in-law from Adam and have no idea if he's innocent or not.

Personally, I don't see the harm in allowing CPS to speak to your children. They're not going to say anything harmful to them, they'd just like to speak to them. If I were a CPS worker and someone was refusing to let me speak to their children about alleged abuse, I'd be very suspicious that they were hiding something. Again, I'm not saying that you're hiding anything, but merely playing the devil's advocate.

If you're that uncomfortable, you could always request that you be present when the case worker is speaking to the children. I don't see why they'd object to that.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2010, 08:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fishinco View Post
    I don't want CPS involving my daughters in the investigation. What are my rights? Can I refuse to let them talk to my daughters on a case that does not involve my direct family?
    Hello f:

You certainly can.

excon

Sep 25, 2010, 10:11 PM

My kids did not see anything. We already talked to them. My niece did not even show that she was hurt. Her mom saw a bruise approximately the size a dime on her leg. They are going through a custody battle. We did not even know anything about it until we were contacted by law enforcement. I do not believe this happened in my house. There are three adults living here, most commonly with at least two home at anytime. None of us know anything.

Sep 25, 2010, 10:19 PM

My kids did not see anything. We already talked to them. My niece did not even show that she was hurt. Her mom saw a bruise approximately the size a dime on her leg. They are going through a custody battle. We did not even know anything about it until we were contacted by law enforcement. I do not believe this happened in my house. There are three adults living here, most commonly with at least two home at anytime. None of us know anything.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2010, 07:43 AM

Then why isn't anyone willing to say anything if your lack of knowledge, failure to witness, would end the nightmare?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CPS Was Called [ 4 Answers ]

Someone turned my fiancé and I into CPS, stating that we weren't taking care of our daughter, and that we didn't know how to feed her (she is on an NG tube for feedings because she has a condition called PierreRobin Sequence and can't eat with a bottle because she can't get good suction on a...

Texas CPS [ 1 Answers ]

Six weeks my brother and his girlfriend had their next to last permanency hearing. During that hearing, the judge ordered that I begin visitation with my niece. I had already begun visitation the previous weekend. I have a pretty open relationship with the foster mom and cps said that...

CPS questions [ 2 Answers ]

If A CPS worker threatened someone by saying if you do not get rid of her then you will never get your son back. Can they legally do that.

Should I call CPS? [ 3 Answers ]

My mom has not had a boyfriends or a male in her life for the last 12 years. My dad abandoned my sister, my mother and I at that time for his other lovers. She now met this guy a week ago. Ever since she met him she doesn't believe in coming home anymore. We went a whole 7 days without her...

Cps took baby [ 9 Answers ]

Cps Took My Breastfeeding Baby Away And My 3 Boys, Because I Didn't Take A Second Urine Alysis Test Because I Was Sick I Have Doctor Note But My Social Worker Didn't Care She Said Its And Automatic Positive I Never Used Drugs In My Life And My Children Are My Everything, I Have No Money For An...

View more questions Search