Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bowler Posts: 133, Reputation: 2

Sep 21, 2010, 12:11 PM
    My DVD shuts the PC down when a disk is inserted
    I am running Windows 7 Professional and recently, my NEC External Firewire DVD Drive shuts my computer down when I insert any kind of a dvd disk. My system recognizes my drive in "My Computer" but when I insert a disk, either data or Movie, It takes about 5 seconds and I get the dreaded blue screen that flashes by so quickly that you can't read it and the computer shuts completely down in one step.
    If I reboot with the same disk in the drive, I can go to MY Computer, and click on the drive and everything works fine. I can remove the same disk, reinsert it again and it will read it, play it perfectly. All is well until I put in a different disk. Blue screen and shut down.
    I have a second DVD drive which is internal and I can put a source disk in it and a blank disk in the NEC drive and do a copy disk just fine. The NEC drive has served me well and maybe it's time to replace it. Anybody have any suggestions?
    PS... I have removed the drive and reinstalled it and I still get the same thing.
    gjdulian Posts: 46, Reputation: 12

Sep 22, 2010, 11:45 AM
    Did you try downloading the latest drivers for your NEC External Firewire DVD Drive?

Have you installed any other new hardware recently? What about software? It could be some sort of conflict between the driver for your external DVD drive and something else on the system.

I did find this article on Microsoft Technet, which may help. It talks about using a different FireWire driver to correct problems with Firewire / Windows 7 and some Firewire devices causing blue screens. Take a look at this article, see if it helps at all. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...7-b084537e8da1

Sep 22, 2010, 06:38 PM

I tried updating the drivers for the NEC Firewire DVR and also for the 1394 Interface. Both times, Windows said I had the most up to date driver.

Sep 23, 2010, 08:11 AM
    That Microsoft Technet article I linked suggested trying the other 1394 driver, the one marked (Legacy). Below is a quote from that link.
    Unfortunately, I have no other ideas, but switching drivers is easy and if it doesn't work you can always switch them back.

You can try the following steps to fix our issue, This solved my initial problems with a Maxtor III OneTouch drive.

1- Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the “Start Search” box and press Enter.
    2- Expand the "IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers" node in the device tree on the right hand pane
    3- Right click the host controller node select "Update driver software ..."
    4- Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
    5- Select "let me pick from a list of device driver on my computer ..." and Check the box before “Show compatible hardware”.
    6- Choose the second option---1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy), and click next to update the driver.

Sep 23, 2010, 09:47 AM

Updating the "Legacy" 1394 Controller seems to have cured the problem. I have inserted several disks of a variety of data and movies and they all read without a probl;em. Thank you very much

Sep 23, 2010, 11:08 AM
    You're very welcome! Glad that worked for you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My Samsung DVD writer reads only DVD disk,CD not reading [ 8 Answers ]

My Samsung DVD writer reads only DVD disk,when I insert ordinary CD ,it can't read.I need to solve this problem

Can I burn a music CD using a DVD disk? [ 3 Answers ]

I just want more music on one disk. Just not sure if I want to waste a DVD disk to find out. Not sure if it would play in the cd player

Dvd disk [ 1 Answers ]

DVD+ and DVD- disks are they the same?

DVD disk error [ 1 Answers ]

Good day: I have a Sony Handycam (RW DVD) that gives a disk error every time I insert a mini DVD disk. The disks have never been used before. Do I need to format the disk or is there another operation I need to perform to get the disks to record? Thanks you. David

DVD drive will not read a DVD-R 8x disk [ 2 Answers ]

My DVD will not read a DVD-R 8x data disk. I have installed software from this drive - this morning and read other CDs from the drive. The computer is recognizing the drive and when I click on the drive to display the contents, nothing comes up. Other people can read the disk on there computers....

View more questions Search