Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Carol3333 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2010, 04:06 AM
    How do I deal with a 40 year old alcoholic son?
    My son has been drinking since he was 16. His father died from alcohol. I have tried staying close to him as I want him to know that his family loves him. He has said many hurtful things and continues to drink. Right now he is not suppose to drink around his child when he sees her (he is divorced), but he takes that chance.. How do I draw the line. I cannot stand talking to him when he drinks. Even when he isn't drinking, he has been an alcoholic for years and it seems as though the effects of this disease have completely altered who he is. I don't know what to do anymore.
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2010, 05:53 AM

Local Alcoholics anonymous Find Local Alcohol Rehabilitation Clinics in your area. Maps included Local Listings and Information - LocalHometown.com

Go with him to the first meeting!
    Carol3333 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2010, 09:27 AM
    He lives 100 miles away and I have suggested many times for him to go, but he won't
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2010, 11:04 AM
    I am right now helping a family in the same situation as you are Carol..

The son lives not 100 miles,but 60 or so away.His constant problems and erratic behaviors were more than the parents could handle,, alone!

They contacted me more than 6 months ago in an attempt to have ME intervene with his drinking.I could not.

There isNO HUMAN POWER capable of stopping a drinker if they don't want to stop.Short of jail,institutionalization or death,the alcoholic MUST WANT to quit on their own.

These are not just my words,these are the words of AA,NA,Alanon,etc.

A drinker has to reach a 'bottom' of sorts before the pain of drinking is revealed to them.

'Suggesting' doesn't make him WANT to do anything, it makes him aware that you are against his drinking,but other than that,they would now see it as you are a stress factor,a roadblock to their drinking.

I believe in this site:Setting Personal Boundaries - protecting self

It can show you the basics of how to set a healthy boundary against YOU being affected any further, you have suffered enough(you wouldn't have written in here otherwise)

Tough love,Do not enable,sometimes cutting ties, there are many ways to stop participating in their alcoholism.

It's HARD!It's been hard up to this point and it can be even harder yet.The ride hasn't stopped.

Alanon can be the best place for you to associate yourself with.A treatment center for alcoholism education for family members is also a good place to go.

Seek the help through the net, newspaper or phone numbers for AA in your area.

There are many here in AMHD who will assist you if you want.Write back with any questions,we will answer them if possible,advise as we can.
    RustyFairmount Posts: 165, Reputation: 40

Oct 9, 2010, 08:10 PM
    Thank you for your post. I will try to go to a meeting on Monday. I am my Mom's 40 year old alcoholic son. Good luck with yours.
    DumfounDid Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2011, 09:48 PM
    Comment on ROLCAM's post
    If he doesn't want help, it isn't going to do a darn bit of good, been through it many times with my 40 year old.

Jul 24, 2011, 09:55 PM
    Comment on Carol3333's post
    I sympathize Carol, I have gone though this for years with my 40 year old son. Right now I am sitting here listing to him act like a raging maniac and didn't even know what he had done for the past two hours. He has gone to rehab 3 or 4 times in the past, even was sober for several years. Had a good job, was injured on the job, several months later lost his job (not due to alcohol) started drinking real bad again. I am at my wits end. If you find a solution, please let me know.

Jul 24, 2011, 10:14 PM
    Comment on RustyFairmount's post
    Good Luck, you really have to want to do it yourself, not just doing it for someone else. It's a start. Thanks.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2011, 08:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    I have gone though this for years with my 40 year old son.... He has gone to rehab 3 or 4 times in the past, even was sober for several years. ......I am at my wits end. If you find a solution, please let me know.
    Maybe it's time to try a different approach...

SMART RecoveryŽ for Family and Friends. Provides assistance and advice for family members or concerned others to engage treatment-refusing substance abusers into treatment. They use a system known as CRAFT (Community Reinforcement Approach and Family Training), a non-confrontational means of intervention. CRAFT is a scientifically based behavioral intervention, has shown some impressive results and provides much needed direction to people who feel they have no where to turn. This does not require the drinker to want treatment, otherwise there'd be no need for intervention, nor does it require waiting for a calamity to occur to scare them into treatment.

A brief description of CRAFT can be found here

SMART RecoveryŽ for Family and Friends website here

And a thorough review of CRAFT by Bill Miller (1999) if interested in some heavy reading is available here

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to deal with alcoholic adult child [ 3 Answers ]

My 18 year old daughter received a dwi a month ago and is pending a court date. She is away at college and will be coming home for summer break. I do not want to enable her drinking. Before she comes come I want to let her know that she can come home only if she agrees that she will not drink...

How to deal with a adult son a 22 year old who is an alcoholic and a drug addict [ 19 Answers ]

My son is 22 years old and is addicted to alcohol and drugs. My husband and myself have tried every which way to help him we even tried him in a rehab.He is in trouble with the law because of his habit and he knows he has couple court dates coming up but he still continues with his habits.My...

How do I deal with an alcoholic? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I've never really used these things but I'm at the end of my tether so here goes; I've just moved back to the family home and been told by my mum that her mum (my grandmother) is an alcoholic. Apparently it has always been this way but it was kept hidden from me and my 2 brothers. My...

Alcoholic 24 year son help [ 4 Answers ]

Does tough love really work for adult children? I have a 24 year old alcoholic son. So far he has not been in trouble with the law. If I throw him out and he gets a record what will it do for his future as far as getting a job. He is an accountant. He has done 13 sessions with a psychiatrist who...

My son is an adult alcoholic, what do I do [ 3 Answers ]

My son is a very smart , handsome and charismatic young man of 32 who has worked for our family business as he did not finish college and has drifted since he graduated high school. He has no girl friend but is the most friendliest guy you could meet. He has had trouble for at least 10 years and...

View more questions Search