Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rag4rdd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2006, 05:36 PM
    Concrete Block Wall Construction
    I am looking at putting in a cinder block wall (50' x 6'). It is in Calif. And in a no freeze area. What is needed for the footing? Depth, width, filler, and re-bar? I think that it needs to be 12" deep and 16" wide with 6" of crushed rock as the base, not sure on the re-bar requirement. How far am I off?
    Thanks
    Robert
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Dec 28, 2006, 07:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rag4rdd
    I am looking at putting in a cinder block wall (50' x 6'). It is in Calif. and in a no freeze area. What is needed for the footing? Depth, width, filler, and re-bar? I think that it needs to be 12" deep and 16" wide with 6" of crushed rock as the base, not sure on the re-bar requirement. How far am I off?
    Thanks
    Robert
    Where I live (so cal hi desert) the standard that is used is: a footing equal to two courses of block (16" or more for 8x8x16 block) and the first course of blocks on the footing at least 1/3 buried below groung level. Additionally... for a wall 3 or more feet high... #3 rebar set in the footing from 3" above the bottom of the concrete footing to 4' above the bottom of the first course in every other cell in the blocks. You may want to run rebar horizontally through "bond beam" blocks every third course also.

The requirements for block walls that act as retaining walls is different. Take care to check your local codes if you are running the wall out to the street. Most cities limit the height to less than three feet at the side to the curb.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to remove a glass block wall [ 5 Answers ]

we bought a condo that has a glass block wall, floor to ceiling, measuring 8.67' x 8.67'. Each block is an 8 " square, 3 " deep. There are a total of 169 blocks. What is the safest, cleanest method of removing it? See attached photo. Thanks Ron

Installing a french door in concrete block [ 3 Answers ]

I’m thinking about installing a new French door in by basement. My question is what is the best way to attaché to the door to the concrete block? Should I cut the opening to the required rough opening size and attach the door directly to the block. Or should I make the opening larger, and frame the...

Mold on outside cinder block wall [ 2 Answers ]

I have black mold growing on my outside cinder block wall sourendering my back yard. I live in Las Vegas so the climate is dry but watering the lawns is causing the mold to grow since we have to water in the evenings so the water does evaporate so fast due to the hot climate. How do I remove this...

Cinder block sitting wall construction help [ 1 Answers ]

I have contracted to have a cinder block with stone accent, and flagstone top installed. The wall is to be 24" high. The landscaper that I contracted with is using a sub on the wall. I over heard the sub telling the landscape company that he need more gravel and mortar for filling in the...

Is Romex allowed over concrete block? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a detached building with a block foundation. On the inside, the top of the blocks is about 4" above the concrete floor. The walls are aligned with the outside of the 8" wide block therefore there is a 4" wide shelf (top of the blocks) that runs along the perimeter of the building. I used...

View more questions Search