Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yeshua68 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2010, 06:53 AM
    Help with Finance Questions
    I have a few questions I am having difficulty with on my finance homework.

1. Mitchell borrows $50,000 from his father and promises to pay it back over the next 10 years, making equal annual end of the year payments. Calculate the amount of each payment if the annual interest rate is 9%.
    I know this is an ordinary annuity. But do I divide the $50,000 by 10 and then multiply that number by the 9% annuity rate off the PV chart?

2. In order to send your first child to college when the time comes you want to accumulate $40,000 at the end of 18 years. Assuming that your savings account will pay 6% compounded annually how much would you have to deposit if you want to deposit one lump sum today?
    I'm not sure what formula to use on this one. I'm a bit lost on it.

3. The price of Sanders Company stock is expected to be $68 in 5 years. Dividends are anticipated to increase at an annual rate of 20% from the most recent dividend of $2.00. If your required rate of return is 16% how much are you willing to pay for Sanders stock?
    I'm thinking I need to use the formula PV (Stream of Dividends) + PV of Stock Price. But I'm a bit lost on how to get to that point. I believe I need to go backwards and use a timeline.

4. You have a choice of accepting either of two 5 year cash flow streams or single amounts. One cash flow stream is an ordinary annuity and the other is a mixed stream. You may accept alternative A or B - either as a cash flow stream or as a single amount. Given the cash flow stream and single amounts associated with each and assuming a 9% opportunity cost, which alternative and in which form would you prefer?

End of Year Alternative A Alternative B
    1 $700 $1,100
    2 $700 $900
    3 $700 $700
    4 $700 $500
    5 $700 $300

Single Amount
    $2,825 $2,800

Alternative A is an ordinary annuity. Alternative B is the mixed stream. Obviously the $2,825 single amount is better than the other. But now I'm thinking I need to figure how much each one is going to give me at the end of 5 years.

Thanks for any and all help!

morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2010, 12:55 AM
    1. Mitchell borrows $50,000 from his father and promises to pay it back over the next 10 years, making equal annual end of the year payments. Calculate the amount of each payment if the annual interest rate is 9%.
    I know this is an ordinary annuity. But do I divide the $50,000 by 10 and then multiply that number by the 9% annuity rate off the PV chart?
    No. You have to keep in mind that each payment is going to include some interest. Just for instance, Mitchell originally borrows $50,000, which exists for an entire year before he makes a payment. At 9% that payment is going to include $4500 of interest. We don't know the payment amount, but it will have $4500 of interest and the rest of it will go towards the $50,000 as principal. This then reduces the amount for the second year (to something we don't know). So the interest on the second year will then be lower, but the total payment will remain the same, so more will be left to go towards principal. Etc.

As you can see, even though the payments are equal, they include part interest and part principal, both of which change, but the total remains equal. By time he gets done paying it, he'll have paid more than $50,000 cause it will include interest. It's nowhere near as simple as just dividing $50,000 by 10 years. Solving it is no more difficult, but I mean the concept behind it is much more complicated. While it seems like a big mess, those charts have all this built into them. You have to decide which chart, but then you just pull off a number, multiply or divide, and poof you have a final answer.
    ----------------------------

I'm not going to comment on the rest. Instead I'm going to throw some things at you at to try to help figure out what is what, then let you see if you can just apply it. Also don't forget everything from #1 above because it'll be relevant for any annuity.

Personally, I think it's a good idea to decide first whether you have a lump sum or an annuity, because that will change how you have to think about the rest of the problem.

A lump sum starts as a present value, has interest ONLY added onto it over some time, and therefore grows in size, until it becomes a future value. There are no payments added to or taken away from it. Only interest gets added. It does not matter what direction the money goes -- i.e. whether you stick it into a savings account and allow it to grow, or borrow it and have to pay it back, cause it's still going to grow into a bigger payment that includes interest. Mathematically they all work the same.

With a lump sum, you have both a present value and a future value - present grows into future. The one you are solving for is the chart you want to use. This means if you have the present value, you're solving for the future value, and therefore use the future value chart. Or vice versa.

An annuity involves some type of payments, deposits, etc. In order to qualify as an "annuity" for our purposes, the payments must be equal and at equal time intervals.

In an annuity situation, normally the present value is literally today's value and a future value is some time in the future. However, there are exceptions. What you really need to look at is where the payments are relative to the total.

For instance, in a present value situation, you will start with some total amount. You will then remove equal amounts from this. It will earn interest in the meantime. When you remove a payment, whatever's left still earns interest but less. Etc. These payments will continue to come off until it goes to zero. There is no future value. Examples of this are taking money from your retirement account, or paying off a loan. Make note of the fact that we start with some amount and remove the payments, taking it eventually to zero. You can calculate something that doesn't happen until the future, say your retirement 30 years from now, but if you're taking payment off it, it's still a present value cause it's relative to the payments.

In a future value situation, we start with nothing. We then put payments into something and let them start collecting earnings. Then we continue to add payments over time, until it grows into some future amount. We started with nothing and there is no present value. Note it's a future value cause it's future relative to the payments. Examples are saving for something needed in the future (retirement, a machine for a company), or just anything else that will grow over time, like sales growing 10% every year, etc.

Notice with annuities that present value and future value never exist together. (They may exist in the same problem, but would not be used at the same time.) They exist relative to a payment, which I keep underlining for a reason. ;) So when trying to figure out whether it's present or future, think about where it is relative to the payments. And that is also the chart you use.

That's the essence. Because of some of what I saw here, I'm going to add some stuff. When dealing with annuities, you can also have to solve for the payment itself. Some books can have a special chart for this. However, I've only ever seen them in business math classes, not accounting and finance books. So we may have some division involved.

Best way to think of this:
    Payment x Factor off Chart = Present or Future Value
    Normally you'll have the payment, and you can look up the factor on the chart, and you just multiply to get your present or future value. What if instead you have your present or future value and have to solve for the payment? You still get the number off the chart, but now you have the "answer" and the factor, and have to divide to go backwards and get back to the payment.

Also, when you have a series of unequal payments, this is not an annuity. This has to be treated as individual lump sums, using the lump sum charts, and then add up all the answers. Use 1 period for the 1st one, 2 periods for the 2nd, etc.

As a general rule, whenever you want to compare things, you will be doing present values. If you had the choice to get $20,000,000 now or $1,000,000 payments for the next 20 years on a lotto, you're comparing that series of payments to something you will get TODAY. So the $20 million is already its own present value. In order to make a comparison of future cash flows, you have to bring them back to a present value. There are times you may compare future values, but it's not typical.

OK, have at it and see what you can do. (And take the $20 million today.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finance Questions [ 3 Answers ]

2. Which of the following should be classified on the balance sheet as short-term (current) liabilities? That portion of a 5-year 30-year bonds due within one insurance policy to be year of the balance sheet...

Finance Questions [ 3 Answers ]

1. A credit entry to an account will: A. Always decrease the account balance. B. Always increase the account balance. C. Increase the balance of a revenue account. D. Increase the balance of an expense account. 2. Standard costs are used in which of the following phases of the...

Two finance questions [ 2 Answers ]

1. Does Inflation have anything to do with making a dollar today worth more than a dollar tomorrow? 2. List five different financial applications of the time value of money. This is what I have so far not sure if they are right- Present Value (PV) Future Value (FV) Present...

View more questions Search