Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Randy McLain Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2006, 04:28 PM
    Increasing Garage Wall Height
    Hello Folks, I have a rather tough question:

I have a garage that is 27 by 24 feet, and walls are 8 feet high. This is my workshop and I'd like to raise it up an additional 4 feet. Walls are 2x4 , I have no insulation or drywall, and the siding is about to be replaced. I just had the roof redone after a major hail storm several months ago.

I'd like to just raise the building itself, up the 4 feet and insert a 4' wall.

Is this a good idea? Any ideas how to do this simply and not have the building fall over?

Thanks!
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Dec 31, 2006, 10:33 AM
    Your best bet would have been increase the stud length by sistering to the existing studs then re-doing the roof system. We are talking wood studded walls right?
    krobar Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Dec 31, 2006, 02:29 PM
    Take off the roof and build a ceiling over the existing space and then increase the roof pitch of the new roof to 12/12 or better

Jan 1, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Yes, the walls are 2X4 with just an insulating board and the external siding. I plan to take the siding off before the lift to lighten the load.

I just had the roof repaired after the hail damage... it's a new roof. I hate to mess around with it.

I was curious if anyone has heard of actually lifting the entire building up and just inserting a wall underneath. One my of neighbors has suggested raising the building, and then pulling off the bottom sill plate and putting in a 4' cripple stud to each wall stud. So in effect I'd be lengthening each wall stud to 10'. All we'd have to do is nail on an 8' stud to the lower half of the hanging stud, and then attach the cripple stid underneath.

I am trying to figure out how to lift the building and not have it fall over.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the input!

Randy
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Jan 1, 2007, 09:19 PM
    If your new stud length is 12' install 12' studs along side the existing 8' studs. (I think I'm understanding this correctly).

Lifting that big of building can be done if you use a series of bottle jacks, beams and cribbing. You may want to contact a company that jacks up houses.

Jan 1, 2007, 11:10 PM
    Wish I could find some cheap cribbing... that looks like the biggest expense on this deal...

Thanks for the suggestion!

Randy
    hobolabo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2007, 04:06 AM
    I used 3' pieces of railroad ties for cribbing & bottle jacks to raise a barn.
    Check your yellow pages for the R.R ties. I asked if they rented them since I didn't want to keep them. They said no, so I bought them, used them and sold them back to them when I finished the job. I built my shop with 10' walls and am pretty happy with it for wood working.
    If you're going to 12', I would add new studs rather than sister them for safety and ease, for 10' I would consider cement block if you have a footer under your slab.
    Later, Howard
    jamlove Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Apr 9, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Hi.
    Let me say that I haven't "actually" done this yet, but I've been researching the process of lifting structures extensively for months now, looking to raise my house by about 3 feet. (so far this is just a dream!)

Anyway, the one thing I wanted to say to you was: consider carefully the idea of removing the siding. The lightened load is pretty minor (each of these bottle jacks lifts 20 tons plus, so they won't care)... but the Structural support and stiffness the siding adds to the frame may be critical! If you remove it, and try to lift from the bottom, the roof weight might collapse the whole thing. Right?

I'd leave the siding on, personally. Maybe even nail extra bracing to the studs...

Best of luck with the project man!
    khernau Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2012, 11:41 AM
    Great post! My house has <a href="http://valentineroof.com/low_slope.html">low slope roofing</a>, and a pretty low garage. I would also love to add some height to it. I was thinking about just talking to a contractor and seeing what they would charge, but I know things are always cheaper when done yourself.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2012, 10:39 AM
    Get a house mover to crib the structure, raise the garage and then build a frame or block short wall and set the garage back down. .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace garage door with wall? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a small one car garage that is part of the basement. I want to remove the garage door and put in a wall with a door so that I can use this area as a workshop and as the primary entrance into the house during the winter. The other entrances are either up the steep driveway to the...

Widening garage door opening in cinder block wall [ 6 Answers ]

Hey I got a dilemma, that is I have to increase a garage door opening from 7 feet to 12 feet and add a foot in height to the door (from 9 to 10). The wall is all cinder block which goes up to about 20 feet tall and 40 wide (it's an old refrigerator for apple crates ) now I know that the opening...

Increase height of garage door opening [ 15 Answers ]

The height of my garage door is 7', I would like to increase the opening to approx. 100" See pic. The top of the garage door is at 84 inches The header is 13 inches tall http://www.awedio.com/sdc/IMG_0416 (Large) (Custom).JPG http://www.awedio.com/sdc/IMG_0417 (Large) (Custom).JPG

Garage main lug only height [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, just wondering if there is a minimum or maximum height for the main lug only box when surface mounted on a wall in a detached garage? I am running 40amps, 240V service underground to the garage. THanks in advance. Regards, Steve

Increasing knowledge [ 5 Answers ]

Dear Sir / Madam, I would like to enhance my 6 year old daughter's overall knowledge. I send her to the best school in the area, but still I would like her to have more knowledge than she acquires from her school. What should I do? Please help me in this regard.

View more questions Search