Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbellar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2006, 04:28 PM
    Carac experience
    Ii was recently prescribed carac for actinic keratoses, after using 2 days I am experiencing red, raised blisters that itch... similiar to poison oak/ivy or comparable to cold sore blisters. Is this normal? I was wondering (since I do get cold sores once in a while) could this have cause shingles or mass cold sores on my chest. I hope I am over-reacting but I must admit it is very uncomfortable, itchy and unsighlty? Any advice?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 28, 2006, 04:41 PM
    A rash is a typical side-effect of this medication, although you may be experiencng hypersensitivity to it. You should contact your physician if it becomes terribly bothersome.

You need to make sure you are wearing gloves when applying this medication.

Where are you applying it by the way?

Also, make sure you use birth control while on this medication. It is a pregnancy risk X which means that it is likely to cause birth defects in a fetus. This precaution is for both men and women while taking the medication.

You can find out all about it on Prescription Drug Information, Side Effects, Interactions - Drugs.com
    mbellar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2006, 05:56 PM
    J_9, thanks for the response... I am using the carac on my chest. Why is it so important to use gloves? Also, is my experience typical? It just looks so much like poison oak or cold sores. Thanks again
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 28, 2006, 06:17 PM
    The topical treatment will get into the pores of your hands, where it is not necessary to be absorbed, among many other medical reasons.

As I stated, you might be experiencing hypersensitivity to this medication and should contact your physician if it becomes unbearable. Usually the symptoms will go away within a few days to a week or so of treatment.
    tbouwer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2010, 09:55 PM
    I used this on my face for two weeks. I was careful to wash my hands after applying it. I had a similar reaction to you - the cream is absorbed by the sun damaged skin and it gets red and irritated by it. It felt like a rash or like my face had been sandpapered. Not especially sore, but definitely uncomfortable. By the end of each day I had a headache that I attributed to this.

I took pictures and wrote it up in some detail .

Nov 28, 2010, 09:58 PM
    Comment on tbouwer's post
    I see that the link I added is incorrect. Here is the correct one: http://timbouwer.com/2010/11/sun-damaged.html

Nov 28, 2010, 10:01 PM
    Comment on tbouwer's post
    Urg! http://timbouwer.blogspot.com/2010/11/sun-damaged.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need experience [ 3 Answers ]

Please help. I have an AAS in Criminal Justice and am looking for either an investigations position or fingerprint technician position. Every single job I've found wants you to have at least one year experience, this includes the entry level positions I've seen. How and where can I get this...

Degrees for experience [ 4 Answers ]

Are there any Accredited colleges or Universities that give degrees for life experiences? If so what the names of the legitimate ones?

Carac (fluorouracil) Cream 0.5% [ 10 Answers ]

Does anyone someone that may have used Carac cream for any type of skin disease. Apparently the primary purpose of Carac is used to treat Actinic Keratosis. At least that's what it says on the brochure. However I do not have Actinic Keratosis... I have Seborrheic Dermatitis. My dermatologist...

Experience [ 19 Answers ]

I broke up w. my GF the other day and Im not sure why? What I mean is, nothing was wrong really, we didn't fight, we got along well, physically things were great. I just wasn't content with the feeling of having a "luke warm" relationship.. and I felt like it was affecting my career or...

View more questions Search