Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samsclub Posts: 32, Reputation: 5

Dec 28, 2006, 04:20 PM
    Downloading emails to hard drive or cd
    I have charter communications as my email provider. I use Outlook Express for my emails and I would like to download my "Sent" folder and "inbox" folder to my hard drive or to a cd. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thank you.
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Dec 31, 2006, 11:11 AM
    I am not sure I understand what you are trying to do. These items should already be local to you. Unless you are running Outlook from a server?

Dec 31, 2006, 12:13 PM
    I want to keep copies of my emails- sent, inbox, and all of my folders- onto my hard drive or put them on a cd. I use outlook express. Charter does not have an option to download- I called them.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 31, 2006, 12:30 PM
    If you are using Outlook Express, your e-mails are already stored on your hard drive. Outlook Express is a POP3 e-mail client. Such a client polls your mailbox and downloads unread mail into your mail folders. So what you want to do is backup your Outlook Express folders. This article:

How to back up and recover Outlook Express data

Tells you how.

Dec 31, 2006, 03:32 PM
    Thanks for the info. However, when I click on the file that I created and the email titles are there, but it can not open to be seen. It says for me to select a program so I can view it. What should I select? I chose Microsoft works and it just shows a blank page.

Dec 31, 2006, 05:04 PM
    What file? Did you read the whole instructions?

Dec 31, 2006, 05:19 PM
    Yes. I created my own new folder (file) on my desktop to store all of the emails. And when I went back to look in the folder and I clicked several items they all said they could not read it and what program did I want to chose to view it. I did not know which program to view it.

Dec 31, 2006, 05:22 PM
    This doesn't tell me what files. Did you copy the DBX files?

If you just copied the DBX files into a folder, you can only open those files using OE or a DBX reader.

If you did something else, please be specific.

Dec 31, 2006, 09:02 PM
    I do not know what DBX is- I just used outlook express. I went to the "options" under outlook express. I created my own empty file folder to store my email and after it did transfer (my emails) I clicked on them to open and they do not open- I get a message stating I need to find another file to convert the information? Or format? So I can read it. It asked me to either get on the internet to find out what program can open it or to browse through my current programs- so I put Microsoft works- thinking I could just read it like a letter head- but it did not work.
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Jan 1, 2007, 06:14 AM
    Ok, if you locate the folder that you saved the files to, and then click on Views in the toolbar above, Then select Details. That way you can tell us what type of file it is that you created. It will show just to the right of the file name. Also , you should be able to re-open the files you created using OE. If I rememeber correctly, just go to File, then Open within OE. When it asked what file just point it to the ones you saved and you should be OK. When you are done just click Close Give this a try and let us know

Good Luck

Jan 1, 2007, 06:55 AM
    DBX files are the format That OE stores its folders in. Each folder represents a single DBX. Are you sure you created a folder on your hard drive or did you create one in OE instead. You really haven't explained exactly what you did.

Again, Works will not read those files. Only OE or a DBX reader will.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cd drive problems/hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I'm using windows xp pro I've got a lite-on combo cd drive :E Basically I tried 2 fix my e drive because it wasn't reading cds (on dvds) and I think I put a virus on my computer When I tried 2 restart it came up with something like.. Windows cannot start up properly due to a recent...

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Hard Drive [ 4 Answers ]

Need To Know If I Can Convert A Sata Hard Drive To A Ide

Hard drive [ 8 Answers ]

The computer I am working on won't boot Windows up all the way. When I turn the computer on it boots up the background then stalls with the background displayed but no icons or anything. I am assuming that my hard drive is bad... if not could you tell me any other diagnoses? Anyway, if my...

View more questions Search