Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tracie69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2010, 10:47 PM
    Home Schooling
    My daughter is 10 years old and I am maybe looking at home schooling next year. I wa wondering what I have to do and what is required
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 18, 2010, 10:51 PM

Check with your county's board of education. Your library may subscribe to homeschooling magazines. Call to find out, and also ask about homeschooling in your area so you can network with other parents. The children's librarian and an adult reference librarian should both be able to point you in the right direction.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2010, 09:47 PM
    My daughter is 10 years old and i am maybe looking at home schooling next year. I wa wondering what i have to do and what is required
    1. Find out your state's laws and requirements.
    http://ezinearticles.com/?General-Requirements-for-Homeschooling&id=64800

For example. In Texas, although we don't have to report to the School District, we do have to register our home school as a Private School. We do that by obtaining a Doing Business As (DBA) certificate through the County Clerk's office.

In addition, we must be prepared to provide proof that we are teaching the four r's. Reading, writing, arithmetic and civics. Well, three r's and 2 c's.

If a parent is taking a child out of public school in order to begin homeschooling, there is a form which one signs at the school accepting responsibility for their child's education. After that form is signed, the parent may take the child home to begin their education.

But Texas is a Homeschool friendly state. Many other states have strict laws which make it more difficult to homeschool. You'll need to do some research for your area.

2. Decide on a curriculum. After you find out what you are required by law to teach, you need to decide what you will teach in addition to those subjects.

We include religion in our curriculum. We used to include sports. We no longer do.

3. This is not a necessary step, but you might want to find out if there are other homeschoolers in your area. Just Google, "homeschooling and the name of your city".

This was exceedingly helpful to us because we discovered that we weren't alone. And we have joined a community of like minded people who
    have a great deal of educational experience to share with us. On Wednesday's we come together at a local church and many of the Moms and Dads share their talents and knowledge with our children. It has really enriched our schooling.

4. Homeschooling is great! As a Dad, I am really thankful that I get the privilege of enjoying many of the things which most people in this society lament.

We have family meals, everyday. When I'm off work, we have them three times a day. We, the parents, my wife and I, are our kids best friends. They actually trust us. Unlike the many Public Schooled families I've met where the child is ashamed to be seen with his parents and seemingly despises his siblings.

So, I hope you have as wonderful an experience as we have had.

Sincerely,

De Maria

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home schooling [ 4 Answers ]

Can anyone give me some information on homeschooling. I live in Chicago,IL. I'm looking for home schools. The high schools here in the city are very bad. The school that pertains to my district is one of the worst. I don't want to send my boys to that school. I think they are better off home...

Home Schooling At 14 In The UK [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 14 and I really hate school, I think its just the atmosphere I can't cope with. I've been looking over the internet and been reading about homeschooling. My mum and dad know I hate school and I kind of keep saying about homeschooling but they don't seem to take me seriously. I have two...

Home schooling [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to take my ged at home or find a school where I can receive my diploma I work during the day and have a child so I really can't afford to pay for it is there any on line programs that maybe is free, or does not cost too much.

Home schooling in the UK [ 2 Answers ]

Hi :o Does anyone have any information about home schooling in the UK. Does a parent need to be qualified to teach

Home Schooling [ 2 Answers ]

Can you create you, your own Home Study program ?

View more questions Search