Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skellyskelly Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2010, 12:24 PM
    Arrested and asked to sign paper
    Dear Sir/Madam

I was recently arrested in SC and the arresting officer came to my house to arrest me. He did read me my rights but also began to ask many questions. I was so taken back by the accusations that I did not exercise my right o remain silent. Silly me. However the arresting officer also asked me to sign a piece of paper which I thought was simply a confirmation that my rights had been read to me etc. However I was very disturbed recently to hear that the arresting officer told someone that he had a signed confession from me (for clarity - the someone whom the officer told this to is a person who called him with evidence in my support. The officer actually told him that if he did not stop interfering in the case he will have him arrested for obstruction of justice!). I can only assume that he was referring to the paper I signed upon being arrested. I am frustrated and confused. I have not yet managed to raise money for a private lawyer and the public prosecutors ofcie did not call me back as they said they would. What right do I have to fibnd out what exactly I signed when I was arrested? I have already pleaded not guily at the initial appearance in court. I would greatly appreciate your feedback. Thank you. DS
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 18, 2010, 12:52 PM

First stop having a "friend" call the police, the police is not there to help you with your rights, they are there to convict you at this point.
    Next guess what they can lie about what evidence they have in hope to get an easy confession or to get you to plead guilty.

At the first appearance, did they tell you they had a confession.

But your attorney or you can make a motion for discovery of evidence. But YOU DID NOT READ what you signed when you were being arrested ?

Next did they write this up while you waited ? They could not have a preprinted confession at the scene of your arrest

Sep 20, 2010, 06:57 AM
    How can I get to see what info the police /prosecution has on without using a lawyer?
    I am being charged with a felony from a complaint my ex girlfriend has filed. I recently contacted her ex husband who sent me some information, and told me in detail about her escapades. He then contacted the detectives involved in the case and suddenly her ex husband did not want to help me anymore as he said the police told him they had evidence and a signed confession from me, and also warned him that he could get arrested for obstruction of justice.
    Can the police threaten him, and tell him not to get involved when he has documents and information that can be crucial in my defense?
    Can the police tell him that they have a signed confession from me, when all I remmember signing was an acknowledgement that my rights had been read to me?
    What can I do to ensure that information is made available to my public defender, and how can I get to see it?
    Are the police really concenrend with the truth or are they only interested in winning a case even though I am not guilty?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2010, 07:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skellyskelly View Post
    I am being charged with a felony from a complaint my ex girlfriend has filed. I recently contacted her ex husband who sent me some information, and told me in detail about her escapades. He then contacted the detectives involved in the case and suddenly her ex husband did not want to help me anymore as he said the police told him they had evidence and a signed confession from me, and also warned him that he could get arrested for obstruction of justice.
    Can the police threaten him, and tell him not to get involved when he has documents and information that can be crucial in my defense?
    Can the police tell him that they have a signed confession from me, when all I remmember signing was an acknowledgement that my rights had been read to me?
    What can I do to ensure that information is made available to my public defender, and how can i get to see it?
    Are the police really concenrend with the truth or are they only interested in winning a case even though I am not guilty?

The Police apparently HAVE told him not to get involved so apparently the can.

The Police lie.

The Public Defender is, in fact, an Attorney with access to anything/everything that a "private" Attorney can access.

The Police don't win - the prosecutor wins.

I don't understand why the Police who presumably are overworked and underpaid would be going out of their way to convict you - do you?

You've already asked part of this question and received a very accurate answer - continuing to post slightly different versions will not change anything. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/crimin...ml#post2529747

Sep 20, 2010, 11:59 AM
    At this stage my idea that the law was fair and unbiased have been fairly well and truly been shattered. All I have seen so far ARE THE POLICE PROCEEDING AS IF I AM ALREADY GUILTY AND ARE NOT BEING AT ALL CONCEREND THAT THERE IS PERTINENT INFORMATION TO HELP PROVE MY INNOCENCE AND REVEAL WHAT MY EX IS ALL ABOUT.
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2010, 12:05 PM

The Police don't sort it out - they investigate and then the prosecutor/DA go from there.

Please don't type in caps - it's the same as shouting at me.

Sep 20, 2010, 05:26 PM
    Thanks for the answer. Why would the detective want to deter the ex husband from being actively involved, helping me or providing vital information, other than that the detectives do not care if I am innocent and simply want to get conviction so that they can get a promotion/ raise whatever?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2010, 04:03 AM

Hello s:

Look. Cops get an idea of what happened, and THAT'S what happened, even if it didn't. You can't tell cops anything...

excon
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2010, 09:23 AM

I'd like to know the wording on the paper he signed.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 21, 2010, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I'd like to know the wording on the paper he signed.
    So would he.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 21, 2010, 06:22 PM

Once the police think they know who did it, they work on getting enough evidence on them. So anything that does not help convict that person, is not wanted. If they are given other evidence they would be required to provide it to the other attorney if know ( and they "believe" it would effect the case)

So your attorney has to find and dig at that evidence.

It has nothing to do with justice, nothing to do with right or wrong, it is conviction numbers
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2010, 06:58 AM

Again - what does the signed paper say - exactly!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Refuse to sign paper for inherited house to be sold [ 4 Answers ]

7 siblings. Inherited house, divided among evenly when sold. One refuses to sign paper, because he was not told price the house is to be sold. What will happen to his share?

Name in paper after being arrested [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I was arrested the other day. I don't want my name in the paper. How would I go about doing this? Thanks.

Mobile home 4 sale-no title- asked to sign hold harmless [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking at a mobile home in Georgia. It is a foreclosure. Agent says there is no title for mobile home just land. They asked me to sign a hold harmless document. The price is half of its value, but I am concerned about the no title issue. Have any wisedom?

Can I become emancipated, or can my mom sign this paper? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 16 and pregnant. I live in Georgia. Can I become emancipated? How could I become emancipated?

Frequently Asked Questions about Collecting Paper Money / Currency and Coins [ 3 Answers ]

Please see below for information, and answers to Frequently Asked Questions, from our Paper Money / Currency and Coin Expert: Flying Blue Eagle - Paper Money / Currency and Coin Expert Feel free to post on the board: Just click the "Ask About Collectibles" button at the top of the page.

View more questions Search