Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alternap18 Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2010, 05:15 AM
    did i do this math problem correct ,order of operations?
    3-(5x2)+5
    3-10=7
    7+5=12

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 18, 2010, 06:07 AM

Hi Alternap...

Looks like you have a symbol missing (+ or -) and may have an equal sign where you need another math symbol.

3-(5x2)+5 3-10=7
    7+5=12

Rewrite the problem correctly and be sure to use PEMDAS or "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally" to figure your answer.

PEDMAS is an acronym that is used to remember the order of operations for mathematics... stands for Parentheses 1st, Exponentiation next, then Multiplication, then Division, then Addition, and finally all Subtraction.

Give this a shot and repost the correct problem with your answer and we'll see if we agree with your answer.

Good luck...

Mark

Sep 18, 2010, 06:12 AM
    what's wrong with what I did I got the answer correct.

mine
    3-(5x2)+5
    3-10=7
    7+5=12

Yours
    3-(5x2)+5 3-10=7 I put 3-10 down to make it more easier and less confusing
    7+5=12

Sep 18, 2010, 06:17 AM

Plus the way I do math is more quicker and the test I have on math its multiple choice
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2010, 06:22 AM
    Correct order of operations but incorrect arithmetic. 3 - 10 is not 7.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2010, 09:15 PM

The problem really lies in making sure you watch your signs. So the error there should be easy to fix.

However, I'd like to comment on this "it's multiple choice." That has nothing to do with it. You really should write all the steps out properly for two reasons: one, problems won't always be this easy and with this few steps, and not carrying everything down will some day cause you difficulties. If you can shortcut a certain amount of stuff, not a problem (except that you messed it up). But second reason is that it makes it easier for other people to help you, and some day you'll have an instructor who will give partial credit and will want to see your work - I don't think you want to miss out on partial credit if your problem is difficult for the instructor to follow.

i.e. the second line should really have been 3 - 10 + 5, so that you're carrying down the "+ 5" with it. That may not mean anything to you now, and you don't have to listen to me, but wait until you're doing big complicated problems. Better to get in the habit now of carrying everything down and following through.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Math Homework, check to see if answers are correct [ 3 Answers ]

The average wind speed at a local weather station is 35.8 miles per hour. The highest speed ever recorded at the station is 319.0 miles per hour. How much faster is the highest recorded wind speed than the average wind speed? How much faster is the highest recorded wind speed than the average...

Printing documents out in the correct page order. [ 3 Answers ]

How do I get my printer to print out documents so that when they come out in the tray they are in the correct page order as opposed to the last page on top etc. I am running Windows xp home if that matters and I have a Canon Pixma MP210 printer. Thanks for your time.

Algebra order of operations [ 2 Answers ]

Simplify 5 + (7-1)2/6

Stumped by Order of Operations [ 2 Answers ]

I have been trying to figure out how to place the fewest number grouping symbols in the numerical expressions below so the equation is true. Any help on figuring these out? 2 squared - 1 cubed * 1 + 1 = 54 5 - 2 sqaured + 4 * 7 - 3 = 54:confused: :confused:

View more questions Search