Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marshodge Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Dec 28, 2006, 10:58 AM
    Car accident settlement
    Hello

I'm about to reach a settlement with an auto insurance regarding a car accident that I was involved last month, I'm of course going to try to bleach their bones, because I know they will try to offer me a disgusting amount. At this time I am not taking an attorney with me, if I see that they are trying to scam me than I will.
    Anyhow my question is should I put in writing the amount that I expect from them, and if so what would be the wording appropriated for this kind of letter.

Thank so much!
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2006, 11:01 AM
    Go to kelley blue book for the current value of the vehicle use that as a guide.

If the vehicle is in storage at the tow company the insurance will be in a hurry to have it remove, they are paying the storage fee until you come to an agreement over the value of the vehicle
    marshodge Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Dec 28, 2006, 12:10 PM
    They already took care of that, the settlement that we are about to reach is for doctor bill and for my pain and suffering.
    Thanks
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2006, 12:19 PM
    That is a tricky area, you must remember that once you settle it done. You should try to consider future medical bills from this. Are there any problem that still require medical treatment?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2006, 12:41 PM
    Hello marsh:

There is a formula that is used as a guidline when determining pain and suffering. It's a percentage of the total dr's bills. I don't know what it is, but if you ask for more than than, you won't get it.

Maybe somebody smarter than me can come up with it. LisaB??

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 28, 2006, 01:58 PM
    Also I will add a note if your car was repaired, not replaced with a new one, even if they paid the cost of fixing it, the car value decreaed since it was wrecked and they will and do pay all the time, a sum to make up for the loss of value over a wrecked car to a non wrecked car.
    That can be from 10 to 25 percent of the blue book value on the car.
    The more serious the damage the higher the percentage.

next are you completely well, I had a bad wreck in the 80, went off a 30 ft cliff, well today it hurts just to stand, I ache when the weather changes and have other issues, all most likely from that wreck, so you have to think of possible medical issues 10 years down the road also in serious accidetns.

I would not see where asking for the same amount of your medical bills in pain and suffereing, most likely still less than they would pay if a lawyer got invovled and they had to also get paid.

It is somewhere to start talking anyway.

And yes it is easy tell them you will settle in full for... amount, they can say yes or no, but youwant to ask high thinking they will say no and make a counter offer which is normal.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2006, 11:33 AM
    Do you have documentation (receipts, medical bills, etc.) for the damages you are claiming? If so, then yes, put it in writing. You say that you are going to try to "bleach their bones." Keep in mind that insurance fraud is a serious offense and, with insurance costing so much these days, isn't one that's look upon lightly. If you try to claim anything that's above and beyond legitimate damages, that sets you up for charges of insurance fraud and the outcome won't be pretty. You state that you haven't gotten a lawyer involved yet but are considering that possibility. A lawyer may help you get more money but it'll take longer and result in having to pay attorney's fees which ultimately results in less $$ for your pockets. The bottom line is, would you rather have $500,000 now or $750,000 (less attorney's fees) 10 years from now? The specific numbers are of course hypothetical but I wanted to illustrate the point. Personally I'd vote for the $500,000 now. That's how the game usually works when dealing with insurance companies ; instant gratification or maybe a slightly bigger chunk of change years down the road with all the accompanying hassels.
    pegadzinski Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 04:16 PM
    Auto Accident Car already settled. Working on medical bills and pain and suffering. Total medical bills $500. Ambulance $1000. My understanding is 3 times medical is standard settlement, do I include the ambulance as part of the medical bills?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2007, 06:08 PM
    If you had to pay the $1000 out of pocket for the ambulance then you would include that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car accident [ 3 Answers ]

I was recently in a car accident where I was crossing lanes of traffic and a young girl hit me. She was going fast and I was stopped so her car suffered more damage than mine. I am unfortunately not insured but her mother has full coverage. I have a court date set for the traffic violation of...

Car accident while friend is in the car [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question about what the case would be if I got into a car accident, mine or another drivers fault, with a friend in the car that is mine but in my Mother's name. I have been reading a little bit into insurance, I think I understand how it would work and come into play a little bit. What...

Car Accident [ 1 Answers ]

I was in a car wreck with a drunk driver going the wrong way down a highway. Luckily no one was hurt. My car was totaled in this wreck and I am not sure about how much I should get back. The insurance company said that they would pay me a book price on my car plus what ever was left to pay the...

Car Accident Settlement [ 3 Answers ]

I was in a car accident and in May 14, 2006 will be the limit to file. I've been working with the insurance company and they want to settle for 13,500. $6,762.75 in what they claim are medical cost and 6,500.00 for my pain and suffering. My medical cost comes out to 14,000, milage @1,095.26. I...

Accident settlement [ 3 Answers ]

What should I take into consideration when accepting a settlement from an auto accident? I do not have an attorney. I received medical treatment(therapy, etc.).

View more questions Search