Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Larryc123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2010, 03:15 PM
    Unable to pay restitution this month
    Two years ago I was ordered my the court to pay $50,000 to a customer of mine who claim a loss of items that she claimed was worth that much that was taken by a former employee of mine during a moving job.
    Becase of the case, I was ordered by the P.U.C. that I could no longer legally operate the business, and was forced to give it up.
    That was two years ago. Since then I have been unable to find work because of the felony put on my record. I have lost nearly everything I have ever own. I am just one more payment away from my home going into foreclosure, and so far I have only been able to pay back $3000. Of the $55000. Sill owed within the next 3 years. My problem is, as I set here I write this to you, I am completely broke with not a dime in my pocket, my car is on empty, I have nothing in the house to eat, and I have to make another payment of at least $200. In the next 3 days.
    I have nothing to send. Is turning myshelf into the authorities my only recoarse?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 17, 2010, 03:27 PM

I am assuming you didn't have liability insurance and your employees were not bonded. Probably a good reason for the court to award this amount of money in a claim with no proof that your workers did not steal this property. It is a claim for money, so I don't know why you would have to turn yourself in to the authorities, as you put it.

I would suggest filing backruptcy...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2010, 04:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Larryc123 View Post
    Two yaers ago I was ordered my the court to pay $50,000 to a customer of mine who claim a loss of items that she claimed was worth that much that was taken by a former employee of mine during a moving job.

I have nothing to send. Is turning myshelf into the authorities my only recoarse?
    Hello Larry:

Let's not BS each other. Restitution is what a perpetrator of a crime pays back to his victim. It's not what BOSS pays for his employees theft. If your employee committed a crime, but YOU didn't, then you shouldn't have plead guilty, and I'll bet you did. So, you DID something...

But, it doesn't matter. I'm not here to judge you. I couldn't care less. You've been found guilty, therefore, according to the law, you ARE. Nonetheless, I believe I read something recently where you cannot be sent to jail for not paying MONEY. Therefore, I'd write my PO a letter explaining your situation and include whatever you can afford to pay.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 17, 2010, 06:47 PM

It is not a tried and true proven law, here in GA there was a case where a person was released from prison when he appealed on the grounds he was put in jail merely for not paying the fines owed.

Now that ruling is also out on another appeal, so from my understanding there is no 100 percent on it. Since here in GA even though one person was let go, other courts are still sending them to jail for failure to pay.

But the thing is, there is no one and no reason to turn yourself in, since they have not violated your probation "yet" and there is no warrant out for you.

So to turn yourself in, someone has to want and have the authority to put you in jail.

Also normally bankruptcy will not get rid of money owed from criminal activity so I doubt that will help you there.
    So you lose your home, live in a homeless shelter and find a better job.
    airmailboss Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2012, 06:44 PM
    Shut up Excon... Have some sympathy for the man... The court will try and take everything from you and some.even if you go back to court and ask for help... genuin help... Most of the time they denie you... I'm sorry. Buddy I'm in a similar situation and don't know what to do either... your not alone. **** the court system

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What if I can't pay for criminal restitution [ 25 Answers ]

Can't pay restitution

If I can't pay my restitution in sc what happens to me? [ 1 Answers ]

I don't have the $200.00 this month I was supposed to pay for my restitution. I live in spartanburg sc. Am I going to be put in jail because I can't make the payment?

Do you know about what was on the news about not being able to pay restitution? [ 3 Answers ]

There was something on the radio, "WIOD", about what to do if you can not pay restitution and are trying to get your rights restored. Does anyone know about this information?

Is a 30 days notice sufficient if my lease has ended and I know pay month to month? [ 4 Answers ]

So I signed a rental agreement for a 6 month lease effective January-June and have fulfilled the terms but my lease expired on June 30, 2008. My landlord asked if I would like to renew the lease and I said sure but she has not drawn up the paperwork to renew the lease for another 6 months. In...

Being refused to pay restitution [ 3 Answers ]

I wrote bad checks to a place also have been accused of several thousand of dollars being stoled what is the law on restitution if they refuse to take restitution a gave me a signed latter stating such can they press charges.

View more questions Search