Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    B1accr71 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2010, 02:41 PM
    What are the responsibilities of next of kin
    I am next of kin to a widowed aunt. She has a lawyer as trustee of her estate. What are my responsibilies as next of kin. She requested verbally that I should ensure that her wishes be done.
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

Sep 17, 2010, 03:14 PM

If she requested that you ensure her wishes are followed through, have you thought of meeting with her attorney - with her present? Your natural responsibilities to her are not as trustee or executor or anything beyond being her next of kin. She has to make the delegations and do it legally.

My question, since she has an attorney, why is she asking you to ensure her wishes be followed through? Has she detailed all her wishes? Does the attorney have the Last Will and Testament? Is there a Living Will or Health Care Directive (for end of life decisions)?

You do need to talk to her and her attorney. Make your representation legal. For the protection of both your Aunt and yourself.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 17, 2010, 06:58 PM

Not a single thing unless she puts all of those wishes into her will.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 18, 2010, 06:34 AM

There are many situations with elderly care that could involve a DNR. As next of kin you may be involved with that decision. And you should respect it when the time comes and criteria are met. Other then that some requests are beyond your control. Most people in general don't want a lot of fussing when they pass and may wish you to aid in a smooth transition. What has she told you so far?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Next of kin responsibilities who pays there debt [ 4 Answers ]

My mum died a few weeks back , I have had a letter from her housing association to say she must give 4 weeks notice and that the 4 weeks rent comes to just under 800 pounds but she never had any money when she died , can they take me to court to get the money off me as they said they will

Next of Kin or Not? [ 7 Answers ]

My father had passed away just this Saturday Morning and my Aunt did't call me until later that night.But my queistion is Am I the next of Kin (Being the only child) or is my Grandmother and Aunt?

Responsibilities of next-of-kin [ 1 Answers ]

My mother died last week in the state of Florida. My aunt was named the executor of her estate in the will which has not yet been submitted to the probate court. My mother made my 17 year old daughter the beneficiary of her entire estate. I am the co-owner of the credit union account where her...

Legal responsibilities as next of kin [ 1 Answers ]

I have now after talking with many people realized that the chance on my mother-in-law being found incompetent are slim to none because she is aloud to make horrid decisions as long as she knows who she is and can fake her way through with a nod and a smile. I need to know if my husband being her...

View more questions Search