Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PLSHRZ_2274316 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2010, 01:06 PM
    My computer won't let me play my CD Roms nor DVDs.
    My problem MAY have been caused awhile back when I was subscribed to some registry services. Either one, at two different times, while cleaning the registry, could have removed something that adversely affected those TWO drives---the CD ROM drive and the DVD drive.

I tested out both drives a few minutes ago, but all I get is a flashing light for a few brief seconds. But I don't receive any messages on my desktop. When I go to My Computer,: Drive A. Originally, it DID show the Drive D for CD Roms, and Drive E for DVD Roms.

In late October 2007, before I moved to my recent residence, I bought a brand new('hopefully') combination CD/DVD drive package from a dealer at a computer store. Then I took it over to the repair/SALES person who was going to transfer the parts from my OLD computer to my new ONE.

Someone inadvertently mixed my NEW one with an OLD one. But I know the original receipt from the 1st dealer showed what I bought.

As mentioned earlier, it might have been one of those registry services, or that drive update service I tried. I already received my "unhappy camper" refunds from each of them.

But at "this" point, I'm still without those TWO drives, and unsure what to do, and don't have any money to get a NEW one. In reality, I shouldn't be the one. Those people that caused the problem owe me one.
    johndoe99 Posts: 167, Reputation: 21

Sep 17, 2010, 01:51 PM
    Do you have the original driver CD that would have came with the drives. If not go to the manufacturers website and locate them, or try:

DriverGuide - XP Drivers, Windows 7 Drivers, Printer Drivers, Audio Drivers, CDROM Drivers, Network Drivers, USB Drivers, Device Drivers, Driver Downl
    PLSHRZ_2274316 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2010, 03:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by johndoe99 View Post
    do you have the original driver CD that would have came with the drives. If not go to the manufacturers website and locate them, or try:

DriverGuide - XP Drivers, Windows 7 Drivers, Printer Drivers, Audio Drivers, CDROM Drivers, Network Drivers, USB Drivers, Device Drivers, Driver Downl
    Today, I'm "planning" to dust my inside of my computer. While there I'll see if I can read the brand of the CD/DVD drive. I bought it from CompUSA in October 2007 and was to have it installed by a computer firm that did repairs et cetera. I trust that they installed the BRAND NEW one I provided, and that cost me---before tax---$39.99. I still have the receipt, plus the one that shows that the computer repair place transferred everything from my "old" computer over to my NEW one.

When I went to the hardware site, I couldn't get the driver device manager to work for me. There's something about Microsoft Management Console(MMC) that's creating a problem. I use Windows XP---Service Pack 3.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2010, 03:59 AM
    Try either this: Your CD or DVD drive can't read or write media

Or use the popular cdgone reg patch: CDgone - Geeks to Go Forums

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Optical drives play cds, but won't play most dvds [ 1 Answers ]

Both of my optical drives will play cds, games etc. but most of the time when I pop in a dvd, I get a message from Microsoft saying it has encountered a problem and needs to close, and the dvd will not play. The error number is 1000. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! ...

Drives won't play dvds [ 1 Answers ]

My drive won't play rented dvds

My drive plays dvds but not cds or cd roms [ 1 Answers ]

My acer aspire 5610z will play dvds without a problem but if I try to play a cd or cd-rom it won't even regester how do I fix this and get it to read them again?

Can my panasonic cf-47 play dvds? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Panasonic CF-47 Toughbook, model year about 2000. It has a Pentium II, with a CDROM. My question is: Can this machine play a DVD? Of course it can play CDs, but I was wondering if CDs and DVDs are virtually the same, as far as my CDROM is concerned. Thanks for an answer.

Computer won't play dvds [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there When I tried to play a dvd on my PC on powerdvd it says 'The powerdvd Direct show decorder filters have not been installed properly' But I never use this and have never unistalled it or anything like that it came with the PC when I bought it 3 years ago and used to work fine , I also...

View more questions Search