Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2010, 12:24 PM
    Something disturbing happened, let's hear your thoughts.
    Okay so yesterday I was walking home from class and something very strange and disturbing happened. I was nearly home when this little boy, probably about 3 years old approached me. He told me that someone wasn't home and I said to him "Oh that's not a problem, I'm not going there, i'm goin gto my own house." and then he continued to ramble things.

I was wondering where his parents were, and why they were letting this baby run around outside in chilly weather unsupervised so I said to him "Where are your parents?" and he told me that is grandparents died and he was with his mom and dad, so I asked "where are your mom and dad? are they in that house?" and I pointed. He said "yeah" and so I said "you should go find your parents, or go inside it's kind of cold" and he said to me "you going to make me do it? you can't make me I'll beat you down." and I said to him "I'm not going to make you do anything, I just think your parents should know where you are and he said "I'll fight you." So I said "fighting isn't a nice thing to do, you shouldn't try to fight people." And he said "yes it is."

At this point I went back to "why are you out here? do your parent's know you are outside by yourself?" And he said "yes they told me to come out here because they are smoking weed and they didn't want me in the house"
    Mind you, this child is probably 3 as I already stated
    I was absolutely dumbstruck. Then I said to him "well, I have to go back to my house now, but be careful and stay in the yard so you don't get hurt in the street." And he said "I'm not allowed to go in the street" and I thought "So they don't want him to go in the street but they leave him outside unattended because they want to smoke their weed? outstanding."
    I told him, well that's good. I'm going to go home now, Bye. And so I left, (my place is about 6 houses down) Then I called my boyfriend and told him how upset and worried I was about this little boy, and I cried and I said "I need to call someone because this is not acceptable" So I called the police and asked them to take a look and that they need to have child services investigate the family lifestyle.

Please tell me your thoughts, are you as disturbed as I am? I cried, I was so horrified and angry at this child's parents. Not to mention worried about him.
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2010, 12:33 PM

Yes, I would be horrified at such a thing. You did a very good thing by calling the cops on them. Cps really needs to look into this one. It is horrible that a 3 yr. old knows what weed is. There is something very wrong with these people.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2010, 12:36 PM

After reading your post I deffinetly think you did the right thing by calling the police.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2010, 12:41 PM

Of course you did the right thing.
    Good for you!!
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Sep 17, 2010, 12:53 PM

Yes, you did the right thing especially if you left your contact information for CPS to get your statement.

Unfortunately, you have done about all you can. Keep an eye out for him. If it happens again, call the police right then and there. Stay on the sidewalk so they can't claim you tresspassed.

{{{OhSo}}}
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2010, 01:00 PM

I personally if I could have stayed with this boy and called the cops and stayed until the cops came. Either way, it looks like now that the police and child protection services will deal with this. Hope they do anyway.

You did the right thing and yes it is so so upsetting that young children, any age of children are being brought up with such idiotic and abusive parents.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 17, 2010, 01:39 PM

Good job, Ohso!

When I smoked I was the one who went outside, regardless of what was in the pipe.
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2010, 02:22 PM

It just really made me sick. I was thinking "these people shouldn't be allowed to keep their child" and it makes me worry about which way society is heading if there are babies running around threatening to beat people down and talking about weed. And he was the cutest kid. If he stays in that environment who knows how he will turn out, I was just concerned for his future. Honestly, some people should just be steralized if they're going to do stuff like that. I kind of wish things were like the past when it came to other people's children and everyone raised them. I live in a building with lots of people who lookm out for me and my family and each other and we all do what we can to support one another, and we keep an eye on other people's kids too. Why can't more people do that?
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2010, 02:26 PM
    I wish I had stayed to make sure it was taken care of but I was so disturbed I could barely think clearly. And it looked like there were people standing in the house with their backs to the screen.

Who in their right mind leaves their small child unattended outside? I could have easily snatched him up and nobody would have noticed. And if the saw me talking to him you think they would have come out and said something or brought the kid inside. He's not allowed in the street but they don't care if he gets kidnapped? Goodness Gracious.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2010, 03:15 PM

Sad that this comes out of a young child. Some people just have no clue how much they mess up their kids. They are so wrapped up in their own lives, and have no idea what it takes to raise a child. Often it is just a cycle repeating itself. Scary to think what he could be like at 8 years old; at 15. The stories are endless...

ohsohappy, you absolutely did the right thing. There is a good possibility that your chance encounter can make all the difference for this little boy. We can only hope so.

Sometimes it really does take just one person to step up. Well done!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 17, 2010, 03:20 PM

Ohso, I'm so very proud of you. Too many people would have walked away, gone home, cried, but done nothing. You did the difficult thing, you got involved. That takes a lot of strength.

Yes you did the right thing. If more people did what you did, maybe we could end this cycle of abuse and that's exactly what this is.

Good for you.
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2010, 03:48 PM

I just couldn't let myself NOT do anything you know? It would have haunted me. I hope something good comes out of it. If I see it happen again I think that I'll stay with the kid.

Have you ever seen that show "what would you do?" Honestly, I feel it's my responsibility to look out for the kid of no one else is and I'm aware. I walk past that house every day and I never saw him before that. I feel like if I do see his parents I would politely tell them that he was seen outside unattended and to be aware of him. I don't know if it would do any good, but neither would getting in their faces. It's really sad.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2010, 05:04 PM

You did the right thing and it's a good thing:)
    I personally wouldn't approach the parents, they sound scary:eek:

About 15 years ago a beautiful little girl on our block (maybe 3 or 4) would come and knock on the door to see if she could watch TV with my husband. I always let her in knowing that if I didn't someone else would do more than just watch TV with her. Her Mother was scum and never looked or knew where she was or cared. She could be at our house for a couple hours and no one was looking for her.

I never called the police because I thought she might get in trouble. I should have.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 17, 2010, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsohappy View Post
    It just really made me sick. I was thinking "these people shouldn't be allowed to keep their child" and it makes me worry about which way society is heading if there are babies running around threatening to beat people down and talking about weed. And he was the cutest kid. If he stays in that enviornment who knows how he will turn out, I was just concerned for his future. Honestly, some people should just be steralized if they're going to do stuff like that. I kind of wish things were like the past when it came to other people's children and everyone raised them. I live in a building with lots of people who lookm out for me and my family and each other and we all do what we can to support one another, and we keep an eye on other people's kids too. Why can't more people do that?
    That's an easy answer. Lawsuits and false accusations. This world is turning upsidedown with fear.

You did the right thing and I applaud you for it. Its not easy doing the right thing but it is the right thing. Now you know what you will do in that situation so check that one off :)
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2010, 05:56 PM

Well now I'm going to keep an especially close eye when I pass by because if I see it again I'm going to make sure I call the cops again. Not to mention, someone that comes in to my work every day lives two houses down, so I let him know to keep an eye out too. So hopefully People pay more attention.
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Sep 23, 2010, 12:06 PM

You did everything exactly right.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2010, 05:08 PM

You did the right thing. I am happy there are people like you in this world. Thank you
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2010, 07:00 AM

You did the right thing calling the authorities... with the lawsuit happy nuts out there I'd be hesitant to take the kid anywhere or even enter their property. Most definitely a catch-22 situation.

What is sad is people like that are allowed to breed.

I can see that kid growing up to be that monster most people remember from school thanks to the two "wonderful" role models he has... and if its not clear, I'm being sarcastic about the parents.

Yeah.. I've seen far too many like that already.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2010, 06:40 PM

I'd have called the police on my cell phone and then waited there with the little kid until they showed up and took care of the situation. You should not have left him alone outside. Glad you called the cops but you should have called them right there and then and stayed with the little kid.
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2010, 07:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    I'd have called the police on my cell phone and then waited there with the little kid until they showed up and took care of the situation. You should not have left him alone outside. Glad you called the cops but you should have called them right there and then and stayed with the little kid.
    Yeah I should have. I thought of it after and I wished I had.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Constant thoughts - my thoughts are never ending [ 18 Answers ]

Hello there - I'm trying to get some answers regarding my newest problem. I can't go to my pysch. About this because I've tried but every time I try to explain this to someone (counselor, pysch. parents.. ) they think I have an "issue". ADHD, anxiety, and the list goes on and on. I'm so sick of...

NC after a recent breakup, want to hear some thoughts. [ 34 Answers ]

Aehs01 has been changed to Telan, and all threads have been merged for easy access So I'll do some explaining so this all makes sense and I get the best responses out of this topic. I happen to find a great NC thread thanks to Google searches and discovering what the 'no contact rule'...

Want to study but a girl thoughts disturbing me [ 6 Answers ]

Hey hi... yaar m preparing for IIT but a girl's thoughts are not letting me study up to the mark... I don't want her to be my girlfriend because that will disturb my studies but I know that I love her... I don't even want to tell her... so tell me something so that I can concentrate on my studies,,...

A Christmas Truce and other Wishes of the Season [ 2 Answers ]

I know that some of us realize that it is Christmas time. Can we agree on that? What would happen if every husband in the world decided to play nice and chose family over "X". Wouldn't it be so nice not to see all the human tragedy here. Wouldn't it be nice to suddenly relearn that her husband...

Disturbing thoughts, giving up with life [ 6 Answers ]

Hey people, I think I really need help. I have never been a confident person, but I have generally always been a happy person, until I was about 17 I'm now just 19. At 17 I met a lad and fell madly in love but he was an absolute idiot and knew I could never be with him. We text for well over a...

View more questions Search