Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    linz_legrand Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2004, 05:09 PM
    Nail Biter!
    Hey everyone! I have a major problem! I'm a cronic nail-biter! I try so hard to quit but I just can't! Any suggestions??
    desii Posts: 57, Reputation: 2

Sep 16, 2004, 08:06 PM
    Re: Nail Biter!
    Do you bite it when your nervus?

Umm you can try to cut your nails so short so you can't bite them and keep it that way for a while till you get used to not biting them

Since your a girl I doubht you want to cut your nails. But biteing them is worse
    linz_legrand Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2004, 03:56 PM
    Re: Nail Biter!
    I wish my nails were long enough to cut down! I have bitten them down wayyyy past the skin and they are painful but I bite them subconsciously when I'm bored or nervous.

I've already tried soaking my fingers in lemon juice and painting my nails with a "bad tasting" nail polish (I thought it tasted good, so that stuff REALLY didn't work! Lol) but to no avail. I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE LONG, BEAUTIFUL NAILS! PLEASE HELP! :(
    Draven Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2005, 03:40 PM
    Maybe it's a mind or matter issue?

Do you realize it when you do? Try rubbing your fingers on rubber bands. They're the worse.
    sweets_xo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2005, 04:29 PM
    I have the same problem! I find that when I try to stop, I'll wash my hands to get the yucky-tasting stuff off my fingers :( I am not nervous or anything and I don't even notice when I bite my nails. I just...DO! I can't help it. I HAVE to have SOMETHING to chew on! :( I feel your pain.

-Rachel
    dave5150 Posts: 39, Reputation: 5

Jan 31, 2005, 04:28 PM
    Nail biting
    I used to bite my nails all the time, and I found the best way to stop was to keep your nails trimmed very short so that I couldn't bite anymore. It was the only thing that worked for me.
    sweets_xo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2005, 06:16 PM
    Yes, but, I will try to bite my skin if I do that. And it HURTS.
    sbucf Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2012, 09:44 AM
    I am a bad nail biter and I pick at my skin around the nail beds. I have finally stopped and my solution was getting my nails done. Luckily you're a girl so this is doable. Don't get a manicure because you need more than your original nail, you need to get fake nails, preferably acrylic. Seriously! The acrylic is too hard to bite so when you naturally try, you will be reminded. The nails are rounded so you can't pick the skin. Also, your nails will look nice so mentally you want to keep them that way. I kept getting my nails done for 6 months and since its been that long since I've done it, my habit just quit. I took them off around 2 months mark after no biting but went back to it so I quickly got them redone because 2 months wasn't long enough to stop my bad habit. It does get expensive, but its worth it to me! I would give it a go. Also, when I went into the salon, I asked for short as natural as possible looking fake nails. They thought I was crazy for wanting them so short but I didn't want to have to keep coming back so soon plus I wanted to be able to write and do stuff without nails getting in the way.

Sandy
    country_view Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2013, 10:32 AM
    Yes, I do that, too, but more so chew the skin around my fingers or the cuticles. If I'm really nervous or am trying to solve a problem that is frustrating me, I will chew my fingernails, something I mananged to quit for the most part when I was in my mid-teens. I just had to see a movie with Barbra Streisand in it and wanted beautiful nails like hers, which motivated me (then) to stop. Picking and chewing the finger skin is another matter but just as hard a habit to break.

Some things that work for me is to use an emory board to smooth down the calloused chewed skin so it isn't as tempting to pick at. Using a buffing stick on the nails to make them smooth helps, too. Something about rough, scabby calloused skin is what makes me pick at it, so the smoother, the better. A mental or outloud, 'STOP" helps as I often find myself doing it without thinking about it. But the pain on some of my fingers after going to bed is enough to make me want to quit. I seem to chew my pinkies the most.

Some doctors will tell you that years of chewing the fingers will make you have wrinkles around your lips, like some chain-smokers have. So this can be a deterrent. No one wants wrinkled lips as it makes you look even older when you reach your 40's and 50's. Chewing fingers can certainly make the lips chapped.

Taking a supplement to improve hair and nail health can be of help, maybe not so much in actual doing anything, but the placebo affect that you are aiming to help your hands heal and look nice. Nails do need nutrients, as well as skin.

Sometimes if I have too much coffee or black tea I end up being nervous and biting my fingers. So reducing caffeine intake can help. I also once took an antidepressant called Celexa and it made me pick at my fingers more so than I normally do. Switching to another AD is what stopped that side effect. Gum helps, too, especially if I am driving on a long trip. Laying my hand flat on my leg or the couch can help too keep me from starting to pick. Protecting my hands from liquid bleach, cleansers, soil, and while washing dishes helps keep them from getting rough in the first place. I always know when it is gardening season as that is when I'm really bad about chewing my skin. Even leather work gloves can make my fingers rough due to the chemicals used in treating the leather (made in China). So, I use laundered cotton jersey gloves as liners, besides giving a new pair of work gloves a good soaking to leach out some of the chemicals. I've tried all kinds of hand creams and the one that works the best, giving instant relief and a very smooth feel is Noxema face cream, that stuff that has been around for ages. Discount stores also have a generic version of this jarred stuff. When things get real bad, I don the white cotton gloves that I found in the beauty section at our local discount store.

I'll have to try the fingernail polish, something I haven't tried in a long time.
    crazylife13 Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Jun 20, 2013, 12:01 PM
    I use to do that all the time just think you could die from doing that because there is bactieria in your nails and your putting that in your mouth. NASTY!! Hope that helps. :)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2013, 07:29 AM
    Probably doesn't help because it was asked 9 years ago.

Please - I keep asking you to keep an eye on the dates when you respond.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nail Technicians [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently looking to train to become a Nail Technician. There are so many courses available that it seems impossible to decide on which one is value for money and provides the right skills I require. I would appreciate any responses in respect of any good or bad experiences or any...

Concrete nail length [ 1 Answers ]

I’m getting ready to frame my basement, and would like to know what length of concrete nail to use when attaching the bottom plate to the floor? I will be using 2x4’s and attaching them to the floor with a Hilti dx-350 nailer. I have some 2 ½ nails but wondered is the one inch of nail that would...

Nail Care [ 2 Answers ]

My nails are prone to grow ingrown and since it such an early stage as you can say I guess. Few sources suggests that I can treat it at home by the following: Soaking it in warm water twice a day. Trimming it straight  and smooth sharp edges with an emry board. Then elavate the nail and...

View more questions Search