Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MRSBR Posts: 3, Reputation: 4

Sep 16, 2010, 03:56 AM
    Friend said hurtful things
    Thank you for the advice about how to handle someone who has said hurtful things towards us and others, I'm currently in a situation with someone who I thought was a good friend but over the last few months she has said some very hurtful things to me and my sister and even to my young nephew which was very embarrassing for him and my sister, I have tried to let it go but this last situation needs sorting out and I'm seeing this person today to try and get it sorted.
    Im not sure if I can ever be her close friend ever again.

Thanks Foggy
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2010, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSBR View Post
    Thank you for the advice about how to handle someone who has said hurtful things towards us and others, im currently in a situation with someone who i thought was a good friend but over the last few months she has said some very hurtful things to me and my sister and even to my young nephew which was very embarrassing for him and my sister, I have tried to let it go but this last situation needs sorting out and im seeing this person today to try and get it sorted.
    Im not sure if I can ever be her close friend ever again.

Thanks Foggy
    Foggy I am going to ask if the Mods will move this to a new thread just for you. You'll get some great advice here. This thread is old. :)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2010, 10:04 AM

Moved.
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2010, 10:23 AM

Foggy.. no matter anyone says words do hurt. It's hard enough
    When they're said about you. When someone hurts the people you love it's worse.

I would advise you as I would my children, if you confront this person do it calmly and without
    Name calling or fighting.

Tell this person you are offended by the things she is saying and you would like her to stop. If she continues, just TRY to ignore her.
    It's hard to do that I know, but you will be the better person for it.
    Walking away with grace and dignity will get your message across.

Real friends won't believe her anyway...
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

Sep 16, 2010, 09:27 PM

KitKat said it best. Nothing else to add. Especially the part about "real friends."
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2010, 09:29 PM
    More info needed for me to post an opinion.

"some hurtful things" is too vague. Explain please...

Context and details aren't overrated.

Sep 17, 2010, 11:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    Foggy..no matter anyone says words do hurt. It's hard enough
    when they're said about you. When someone hurts the people you love it's worse.

i would advise you as I would my children, if you confront this person do it calmly and without
    name calling or fighting.

Tell this person you are offended by the things she is saying and you would like her to stop. If she continues, just TRY to ignore her.
    It's hard to do that I know, but you will be the better person for it.
    Walking away with grace and dignity will get your message across.

Real friends won't believe her anyway......
    I confronted the person yesterday very calmly and did not get angry or shout at her, I asked why she had said and done the things she did to us and she got angry and started shouting at me, when I asked her not to shout she left my house and slammed the door shaking the whole house and I have heard nothing more from her.
    I'm proud of myself for not retaliating.

Foggy
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2010, 11:45 AM
    I confronted the person yesterday very calmly and did not get angry or shout at her, I asked why she had said and done the things she did to us and she got angry and started shouting at me, when i asked her not to shout she left my house and slammed the door shaking the whole house and I have heard nothing more from her.
    i'm proud of myself for not retaliating.

Foggy

I'm so proud of you! You are very mature and you will go very far in life.
    You can accomplish whatever you want to do. Now that this girl knows she can't push your buttons, she may stop the talking. Keep it up and always remember.. you are a great person! :)

Sep 17, 2010, 12:46 PM
    Comment on MRSBR's post
    Thank you very much for your kind words

Foggy x
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2010, 04:49 PM
    I confronted the person yesterday very calmly and did not get angry or shout at her, I asked why she had said and done the things she did to us and she got angry and started shouting at me, when i asked her not to shout she left my house and slammed the door shaking the whole house and I have heard nothing more from her.
    i'm proud of myself for not retaliating.

Foggy
    Good job.

Sometimes you give someone the opportunity to show their true colors.

The good news... you don't have to live in that world. I have a "relative" by marriage who is the most acidic person I know. She just lives to seethe and sulk and... seriously, I don't judge people like this. She is the exception.

So... best I can do is live how I would normally live and I expect NOTHING good from her. I anticipate anger and hostility. I don't take it personally. It must SUCK to be her. I can live with that.

Same with you... too bad this friend couldn't be a friend you could trust. Glad you know better now. Walk away.

Kudos on the being calm thing. I'm irish serb. I'm genetically programmed to hit first and buy drinks later. You're a better person than me... or at least you don't need as much cash in reserve for bail.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2010, 04:57 PM

Well done... remember that sometimes friends are in our lives for just a period. You can let go of those friendships that have served their purpose, have changed with time and circumstance, and move on.
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2010, 06:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    Well done....remember that sometimes friends are in our lives for just a period of time. You can let go of those friendships that have served their purpose, have changed with time and circumstance, and move on.
    Completely agree. Some loves are meant for a time, not all time. Some friendships... it's the same. Point a to point b doesn't diminish the relationship, just redefines it, perhaps limits it more than we'd like.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it wrong to want to end things with a friend cause you feel like your falling for [ 3 Answers ]

This girl is like my best friend and I've known her 4 about 3 yrs. I asked her out before but she said she "just wants to be friends". It was like the worse feeling ever and it almost messed up our friendship.we were all awkward around each other 4 about a week. And know I'm liking her again and I...

The hurtful things men say [ 14 Answers ]

Ive been with my baby's father for 2 years and I gained weight because of the baby. I was always a big girl I am 5ft 10in tall and I currently weight 217. When we met I was 200. Anyway now he's telling me that he loves me but he don't like big girls and he wants me to lose weight. I started working...

My best friend is my boyfriend and things are getting really dull now what should I do [ 10 Answers ]

I had a really good friend and he know me so good and I told that I loved him and we back boyfriend and girlfriend and now we have been going out for almost a year and I enjoy being with I'm and time passes soooooo fast and I love him to death , but the fact that he tells me from noe that we will...

Things were happening with a very special friend. Then he went back to his ex. [ 2 Answers ]

I've liked a friend of mine very much for around six months but have been attracted to him for over a year. We go out in a group and three weeks ago we went camping where things got a little bit out of hand in a game of dares. Although he had a girlfriend he went along with the dares, most of which...

Hurtful things said after breakup [ 4 Answers ]

I was with someone for 11 years and I recently posted about 3 weeks ago. The problem is I am going to get my things in the next few days and I would like someone to help me understand how the person I loved for all this time can be so callous and cold. He has said things like "You just don't do it...

View more questions Search