Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Maxoman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2010, 07:30 AM
    How do I find lost 401k
    I worked at a job corps center operated by General Electric in 1990. I paid into the 401K plan; then GE lost the contract. I did not receive money invested in GE program. Thanks for your help.

Elizabeth
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 16, 2010, 07:38 AM

If you have any funds in a 401(k) that fact is supposed to be reported to SSA so when you retire they inform you of balances.

The first thing I would do is contact GE to see if they have any records.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2010, 07:38 AM

You write a letter to General Electric and ask IF you paid into the GE plan. If you paid into a job corps plan, that's who you would have contact.

You never received any statements concerning the account?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 16, 2010, 08:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    The first thing I would do is contact GE to see if they have any records.
    Agreed. But actually your task is to find out who the 401(k) plan administrator is, which actually isn't GE but rather is a separate entity like a bank, insurance company or investment firm that handles GE's 401(k) plans. Then you can contact the administratoir to see if they have info on your account. So call GE HR, and ask who the plan administartor is for ex-employee accounts.

Lesson learned - when you move always be sure to provide your new mailing address to all financial institutions where you have money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lost 401K Can anyone know how to find it? [ 4 Answers ]

I Was in the U.S. Navy about 11 years ago and started a 401K and when I got out I never kept up on it. Now I am interested in finding it , but I don't know how do that. If anyone on here can help me find it , I would appericate it very much.

401k lost? [ 1 Answers ]

How can I find out what happen to my 401k, if the company was bought out. I left this job 10 years ago and I know I still had money in there.

Lost 401k [ 2 Answers ]

Hi How can I find my 401k for a company I left in 1999? The company is no longer in business.

How to find a lost 401K [ 1 Answers ]

My question is. I was putting money in a 401K with my last employer. I changed employers just about a year ago, I have a new 401K plan with them. Is there a way I can get the old 401K in my bank account or do I have to roll it over into the exsisting account. ...

401k lost [ 2 Answers ]

I had a 401k at another job I was out of work 4 about a year when I got my new job got full time I tried 2 roll my 401k over 2 my new retirement plan now its been about 5 years guardian corporation the 1 I was through said the state took it is there any way I can get it back there was a lot of...

View more questions Search