Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lu481 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2003, 11:04 PM
    Snakes
    What type of snakes would you find in the Jungles in South America? Which ones wrap themselves around and suffocate their prey?
    dinofanatic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2003, 12:16 PM
    Snakes
    There are many different snakes in South America. From Pit Vipers to constrictors (ones that wrap around and suffocate their prey), the species are quite numerous.
    Contstrictors are by far the largest of snakes, able to reach lengths up to but not limited to 20 feet. A few familiar names would perhaps be the boa constrictor, and the anaconda.
    There are also vine snakes, tree snakes, vipers and asps.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jun 6, 2003, 09:39 PM
    Snakes
    Contrary to popular opinion constrictors exert very little force on their prey. What they do is wait for the prey to exhale. As the victim exhales the snake constricts with the exhalation. When the victim then tries to inhale it finds itself unable to because the snake has narrowed the coil. So the victim dies from asphyxiation and not because the snake crushes every bone in its body.

Neither does the Anaconda move as fast as it was shown to do in the picture called "Anaconda" a starring Jennifer Lopez. It is a rather slow-moving snake and depends on stealth rather than speed to capture its prey.
    fergalegz Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2007, 08:37 AM
    Scientists have been debating that one for years some think they might constrict so tight the artery & stops letting the blood flow to the heart.

Anacondas are slow on land but in the water they practically glide.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Welcome to 4 years ago :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Snakes [ 2 Answers ]

:o I have always wondered when snakes in my area come out of hybernation. I have many leaves to clean up & have been scared by lizards & snakes enough! I live in Bangor, Pa. Can someone answer my question? Thank you for your time with this request! Wendy ;D ;D ;D ;D

When do snakes come out of hibernation? [ 11 Answers ]

My kids and I love to catch snakes in the summertime. Some rat snakes and garders but mostly water snakes: Queens and Northerns, which we typically find under rocks in creeks and rivers. In my area (central ohio) it gets very cold, so I do understand that they hibernate... but I'm not finding...

Snakes [ 5 Answers ]

We live on 10 acres and are currently living in a camper trailer while we renovate our home. We have garter snakes and I am terrified of them, so much so that I won't leave the camper during the day unless absolutely necessary. (I know that they are harmless and eat mice etc. etc. but suppose...

Can snakes climb walls [ 4 Answers ]

Help!! Do snakes climb up walls? I live in an apartment on the outskirts of Rome and I need to know if I can open my windows!! Thank you for your help!!

View more questions Search