Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HAMDAYS Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2010, 08:17 PM
    1998 honda civic catalytic converter cleaned out after getting 420 converter code...
    Had converter cleaned out until there was nothing left! Car ran like a dream first day.. since that time about 6 days now.. progressively driving with less gumption although it hasn't tried to die on me---brother is supposed to be doing something with the downstream 02 sensor this weekend.. any ideas? Already had distributor in Honda housing, coil, control module, plugs, wires, fuel filter, leaky valve gasket on engine.and upstream 02 sensor..?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2010, 06:45 AM

For the oxygen sensors and engine to work properly, you need to install a new catalytic converter. The fine for removing a converter, in some states, is very high.

Sep 16, 2010, 08:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    For the oxygen sensors and engine to work properly, you need to install a new catalytic converter. The fine for removing a converter, in some states, is very high.
    I understand you are concerned about the legal issue. My brother is in law enforcement! Anyway, there is not way I can afford a new catalytic converter at this time no matter how I juggle the #s. After reading some other posts--sometimes a new converter didn't solve their problem that's what Im worried about.. I cannot shell out $800 (best price w/labor) and then not have problem resolved... thanks for your replies
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2010, 08:20 AM

Your brother may now have to lock you up!

Sep 16, 2010, 08:30 AM

Funny!ha ha! Well here is another question: why does there have to be a new converter for it to work well with the engine? Im curious. Didn't they use to make cars without them? and Honda ones?
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2010, 08:34 AM

It screws up the interface between the upstream and downstream oxygen sensors and the ECM. This affects fuel control.

Sep 16, 2010, 08:43 AM

Thanks, I'll let my brother know.. he says he is going to do "something" to the downstream 02 to get me working until I can get one.. he's got a lot of mechanic friends. Wish he had one that would sell me a good quality car w/o a computer or converter for cheap!! ha ha!

Sep 16, 2010, 08:43 AM

Ps as you can surmise.. we don't have emissions testing in our State right now..

Sep 16, 2010, 09:06 AM

Also--do you really think that a new converter is an absolute must? Im just concerned about other posts that it didn't resolve it..?
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2010, 09:11 AM

I do. You can call you local Honda dealer for a second opinion, which you should do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Engine light came on, gave a cat 420 code. Had the converter replaced and light ca [ 1 Answers ]

I had the converter replaced and mech turned off light. Drove 20 miles and the light returned. Replaced the oxygen sensor mech turned off light and the light returned. What would you suggest? Someone said that the coolant sensor may be the problem, but the car is not over heating. The car is a...

Cadillac converter for 1998 honda civic dx (manual) [ 1 Answers ]

TxGreaseMonkey-would you recommend direct fit or universal cadilac converter and do you recommend where to buy? Thank you D Wagner

Catalytic converter [ 4 Answers ]

If the catalytic converter is bad would that cause the car not to start? Thank you

Catalytic converter,02 [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 98 accord, has run perfect for 10 years. The other day doing 60 down the road it just shut down. No lack of power, no rough running, just shut down. Coasted to side, it cranked over fine but would not start. Waited 5 minutes, started took back off a mile down the road at 60 again it...

Catalytic converter [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, I would like to know if anyone has had aproblem with a catalytic converter, and what the symptoms would be on your car, I have a 2005 nissan quest and it jerks rpm stays at 5 when on the highway, I have had a diagnostic test by the dealer ship and waiting for part to come in, but was...

View more questions Search