Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    strawberrylover Posts: 45, Reputation: 0

Sep 15, 2010, 02:30 PM
    How do I deal with a 6 year old boy with ADHD?
    I have started babysitting this 6 year old boy with ADHD... basically... I've just jotted mental notes of things I've noticed he doesn't like/ likes and I know not to give him sugar... I just wanted to know if anyone has nay sort of tips? And to help keep my patience with him... any information on ADHD would be appreciated also...

Thanks
    answerme_tender Posts: 1,148, Reputation: 689
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2010, 02:44 PM

I have a brother with ADHD, and its not easy, but the main thing is PATIENCE. A good solid routine will also help, no sugar, no food coloring. Check with mom make sure certain foods don't increase a situation. Make sure parents and with child present know your rules for behavior!! Also make sure to check with parents if he happens to be taking medication. Good luck and remember routine is very,very important.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 06:19 PM

The parents should be giving you very complete instructions of what can and can not be done according to their choice and method of dealing with this
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2010, 06:13 AM

Be patient.

Feed him plenty of:
    * protein (beans, cheese, eggs, meat, and nuts).
    * complex carbs, such as vegetables and some fruits (including oranges, tangerines, pears, grapefruit, apples, and kiwi).
    * omega-3 fatty acids (found in tuna, salmon, walnuts, Brazil nuts, olive oil, and canola oil.

Cut back on:
    * simple carbs (candy, honey, sugar, products made from white flour, white rice, etc).

Avoid:
    * artificial colors (especially red and yellow)
    * food additives such as aspartame, MSG (monosodium glutamate), and nitrites

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

13 year old ADHD acting very differently.lazy and disrespectful [ 8 Answers ]

Hello I have 13 year old son with ADHD. He has been treated since grade 3. He is a well behaved child who usually needs reminders to keep his focus. He has always been self centered, but not in an intentionnaly cruel way. Lately, since turning 13 he has changed completely. He is very...

We have two spirits in our house, a ten year old boy and someone else. The boy is sca [ 6 Answers ]

We have had a ten year old boy sprit in our house for many years. There is another spirit here as well. He is not so nice. He has tormented my son for many years. Apparently, the young boy is scarred of the other spirit. The boy will not speak to me. The boy lives in my sons room, so does the other...

1o year old w adhd [ 2 Answers ]

I have been having a lot of problems with my 10 year old sons behaviors. He was diagnosed w/ADHD about 2 years ago but I am starting to thing that there is another issue going on with him. He always seems angry and nothing is EVER his fault. HE has me and his father constantly walking on egg...

10 year old son with ADHD and anger [ 2 Answers ]

I need help! My son is 10 and is obsessed with what I do and who I talk to. He has no real friends because he doesn't know how to treat them. I have three sons and he is the middle child. The other two have friends who like them and they play with kids their age all the time. The middle child has...

Behavioral issues in a 42 year old male, adhd, bipolar [ 2 Answers ]

There appears to be something wrong with my 42 year old son. He has lived away from home since he was 18. He is now living close to me... and I think he has some problems. I knew he has always had trouble making ends meet financially. He is now married and has one child with this woman. He was...

View more questions Search