Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EAndres Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Sep 15, 2010, 02:10 PM
    I have 2 kids my kids mother is deceased, we had no custody papers, can I get my kids
    My ex and I have not been together for over 5 years and I would send money and see my kids when I can they live in California, I live in Texas. 3 weeks ago my ex was killed and now my kids who are 5 and 4 are with their grandmother right now, can I go get my kids. My ex and I had no custody papers filed and the grandmother didn't file any guardianship papers, but since this all happen I have not heard from my kids, I call over there every day some times 2 times in a day and leave messages no return calls, what can I do to get my kids? I have copies of my kids birth certificates and social security cards and also their immunization records.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2010, 02:21 PM

Your rights as a birth/natural parent supersede the rights of ANYONE else unless/until the Court relieves you of those rights.

You need to go to Court where the children are and file for custody. Now! The Grandmother may claim you are unfit. You will have to prove you are ready, able and willing to raise your children.

Do not waste any time - the Court will respect that you moved on this immediately. You do NOT need an Attorney but you WILL need to travel to where they are.
    EAndres Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Sep 15, 2010, 02:27 PM
    Would I have to show up to the court date or can my wife appear for me? The reason why I am asking is I had some issues back then and I am afarid that I will get arrest for that if I show up to the court appearance.
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2010, 06:17 AM

You really need to contact an attorney. As the father you have the legal right to your children, but if you can't face the demons of your past and pay your dues to society (face the arrest), they may find that it is not in the best interest of the children.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2010, 06:24 AM

YOU are the father; YOU have to appear. Your wife has no legal connection to these children. If you have problems with the law I would not even bother filing the application for custody. It is very possible that the Court would not find you to be a fit parent - and only you know enough details about that to know.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 16, 2010, 07:49 AM

Is your name on the birth certificate as the father? If so, then just show up at the grandparents house with copies of the birth certificate and tell the grandmother they are your children and you are taking them home. If she refuses, call the police. Show them your documentation explain that the mother recently died and the grandmother is keeping your children from you. The odds are good that they will force the grandmother to turn the kids over.

However, its not a 100% guarantee. If they don't force her to turn them over, then you WILL need to go to court. And if there is an outstanding warrant that you ducked out on, it is not going to go well with you. As noted YOU have to show up, your wife has no standing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to giver temp. Custody of my kids to my mother [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I want to give temporary custody of my kids to my mother till I can get back on my feet, but the problem is one of my kids father might contest it but he has to understand that my kids can not be separated. He can see his child on the weekends or for the summer but he has to understand that she...

My mother have custody of my kids and I want it back [ 5 Answers ]

My mother have custody of my kids and I want it back how I get it back?

Kids mom on ssi died but she didn't work.do kids qualify? [ 1 Answers ]

My children mother past away at age 38 in New Jersey. She had no work history, but she received ssi benefits for 10yrs. Do my children qualify for any benefits.

Brother is unmarried and his kids mother want to take kids away [ 5 Answers ]

Can his live in girlfriend or EX now take away his kids from him if there in a stable environment and she is leaving my brother for another man in another city and a sex offender at that? My brother has them in his care as we speak can she go to his house and walk out of there with them. They are...

Emergency custody order due to the mother of my kids doing meth [ 1 Answers ]

I have 5 kids with my ex, we weren't married, she has full custody till I take it to family court. Can't afford a lawyer right now. Their mother is doing meth, I have police reports stating this, and one states that the children were there when their mother came home high on meth, she beat up her...

View more questions Search