Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    croby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2010, 01:15 PM
    Questions to ask a mechanical engineer?
    We have an aluminum window sill with a .1" width X .3125 depth. The outside edge of the groove has a .025 continuous barb. We are installing a .050 aluminum formed sill into the groove. The edge of the sill that goes into the groove has a lanced barb every 6", 050" deep and 3/16" inside the edge. The overall thickness of the sill at the barb is .1, the same as the groove that it is fitting into. We get a tight friction fit into the groove and a mechanical lock as the lanced barb on the sill catches the continuous barb inside the groove. The Architect wants to know in pounds the pull out holding strength of this design. IS there formula to estimate that strength? Thanks. Curt
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 16, 2010, 08:54 AM

There is no simple formula for this, as there are too many variables (material specifications, surface finish, dimensions of the barb, tolerances of the parts, etc). I suggest that you call the manufacturer of the sill to see what they specify for minimum pull out force for this system. Or you could run a few experiments to see what you get for the pull out force, but the problem is that over time the results may change. If the architect has a minimum value that he's looking for, and your experiments show that you exceed it by a factor of 2 or more, I would think you're probably OK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ask a mechanical engineer a question [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 wheels and on each I have an 18 tooth sprocket run with a 40 chain. Each wheel and sprocket is connected to a main drive shaft with an 18 tooth double sprocket on it. The sprockets on each wheel are linked to the main drive shaft by a single strand ANSI 40 roller chain. One wheel is...

Insi of mechanical engineer(india) oreng ime is equvelnt to B Tech mechanical [ 0 Answers ]

Insi of mechanical engineer(india) ime is equvelnt to Regular B Tech mechanical engineering? After ime we can take addmision in M Tech in regular? Its very hard to clear all subject?

Ask a mechanical engineer [ 0 Answers ]

I have a hobby of making coin rings by tapping a silver coin around its circumference edge with a small hammer while I turn the coin on top of an anvil to flatten the edge until it reaches a desired width and diameter. Then I cut the center out and polish it. I need advice or an idea to make this...

Mechanical & Electrical Engineer [ 1 Answers ]

I have a assignment but don't know where to find the info. Anybody know please tell me, TQ! For each of the above professions, find out the following: (*the professions I have choose is 'Mechanical & Electrical Engineer') 1. A brief history, background and development of the profession in...

View more questions Search