Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harmonybox Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Sep 15, 2010, 09:05 AM
    Life's education or Formal Education - Which is more valuable, and why?
    I know both are equally valuable on their own, but what if a person had to choose one or the other? I'm curious about how others view individuals that have had to make this decision.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2010, 09:26 AM
    A combination of both. A degree can both get you in the door and give you some good basic skills and knowledge before being faced with the need on the job. Knowledge picked up on the job is invaluable to furthering your knowledge and allows you to specialize in the filed on your choice.

Sep 15, 2010, 09:52 AM

A combination of both. A degree can both get you in the door and give you some good basic skills and knowledge before being faced with the need on the job. Knowledge picked up on the job is invaluable to furthering your knowledge and allows you to specialize in the filed on your choice.
    What if a person couldn't do both, and let's say he or she chose life's education instead. How would you personally view this person's decision and character?

Let's say this person chose formal education and avoided life's lessons of hard knocks. How would you view this person's character?

It's the hard working undereducated vs silver spoon-ivy league scenario (not referring to the average person's life of course). The extreme life choices one has to make and how those individuals are perceived by the rest of the world.

Yes, I'm asking for everyone to make a snap judgement. Not because I feel anyone should judge others off face value, but because most of the time we all do it to some degree.

I want to see how others respond so that we all can read the responses and think deeply on our own personal views.
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2010, 10:13 AM
    I don't make judgments on a person's character simply because those school or they chose work. I also don't believe that you need "hard knocks" in order to be a well rounded person.

If the choices are only "hard working undereducated vs silver spoon-ivy league" then I'll bow out because it seems the question is slanted for a pre-conceived conclusion.

Sep 15, 2010, 10:25 AM

If the choices are only "hard working undereducated vs silver spoon-ivy league" then I'll bow out because it seems the question is slanted for a pre-conceived conclusion.
    Yes, my apologies, it is. What I was hoping to achieve was an honest answer about our personal judgments towards others on this topic.

I imagine this conversation won't go far. However, I am glad you stated how you feel about it. I know there are a lot of people that have very strong feelings on both sides and I was really hoping to hear their side to why they personally choose one way or another as better or worse.

There was no intention to offend anyone if I did.
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2010, 10:38 AM
    In the women I've dated there have been some some that were high school grads that went to work immediately after and others that that were better educated than my own BBA. I eventually married a lawyer. I like smart kind women as a personal preference and often that has nothing to do with their education. BTW my wife is as far from silver-spoon as one can get yet she has a nice LLB to her name that she earned.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2010, 05:34 PM

My view is that you need the practical aspects of basic life experience to survive. What you learn at home like how to cook, clean, speak, walk, talk, get dressed and so on allows you to survive. But how well you survive depends on formal education, which enables you to be employable, permits you to better enjoy culture, make better long-term choices and decisions, and make more of what you have in life. There are many areas in the world where people live very happily with no formal education such as tribal cultures, but they normally have substistance lifestyles and do not have job opportunities that would require formal education. On the other hand, it would be nearly impossible to survive in the western world without at least some formal education.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 25, 2010, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by harmonybox View Post
    Let's say this person chose formal education and avoided life's lessons of hard knocks.
    You can't get a formal education without experiencing hard knocks -- no money for tuition or books, the buff guy you sit next to turns you down for a date, your roommate is a pill, the café food sucks, your grades are miserable, you've chosen the wrong courses this semester, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Education [ 1 Answers ]

What r the qualities for a teacher

Education [ 1 Answers ]

What would be an approximate weight of a cubic yard of trash.

View more questions Search