Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 07:42 AM
    Finding a reputable breeder
    Okay, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I hate the new search function, and can't find the answer.

I am looking at getting a Devon Rex cat. I've always rescued my animals, but I really REALLY like the descriptions I've read of this breed. However, this is a relatively new breed, and there just do not seem to be that many breeders of it at all.

I do not, however, want to buy from a kitty mill.

How do I determine whether a seller is a reputable and licensed breeder? How do I make sure I am buying from someone responsible about breeding and not someone just out to make money?

And--since we're asking questions here--how do I get my hands on a female? I do not like owning male cats (a long history of problems, especially with my current female cats), but it seems everyone I have looked at ONLY sells the males, and keeps the females.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 02:41 PM

I', not familiar with the cat breeding world, but I found some link and highlights that I can post. Hope this helps :)

Here are many ways to find reputable breeders. These include:

* Veterinarians – Ask a veterinarian, particularly one who specializes in treating cats, to recommend local breeders.
    * Cat shows – Local cat shows are a great place to meet reputable breeders.
    * Breed clubs – Conduct an Internet search of the breed name along with the words “breed club” – there are clubs for every recognized cat breed, and all should be able to recommend reputable cat breeders.
    * Cat magazine advertisements – Ads in magazines such as Cat Fancy and Cat World are more likely to be placed by reputable breeders than those in the newspaper.
    * Non-profit organizations – The Purebred Cat Rescue and the Cat Fanciers Breed Rescue list are good places to seek purebred cats in need of loving homes. Rescued cats cost about 10% as much as purebred kittens, and this money (usually $100-$200) goes to cover the costs of the foster families that have supported cats awaiting adoption.

Newspaper classified ads are hit and miss. While some reputable breeders advertise in the paper, many unethical individuals do as well, and some of these people may steal deposits without providing kittens whereas others may engage in dubious breeding practices.

Read more at Suite101: How to Find Purebred Kittens: Finding Reputable Cat Breeders from Which to Adopt Purebreds How to Find Purebred Kittens: Finding Reputable Cat Breeders from Which to Adopt Purebreds

Signs of a Reputable Cat Breeder

Good breeders are not only enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the breed, they also:

* Don’t engage in high-pressure sales techniques
    * Breed no more than a few litters each year
    * Never breed a female more than once a year
    * Don’t adopt kittens out until they’re 12 weeks old
    * Specialize in only one or two breeds
    * Enter their cats in shows and/or belong to a breed club
    * Ask you questions about your home and lifestyle to ensure that the kittens are going to a good place
    * Conduct genetic screening to eliminate breed-related medical conditions
    * Offer to take kittens back if they develop health problems and provide refunds rather than replacement kittens
    * Avoid breeding cats with negative traits such as aggression or nervousness
    * Are willing to show you the kitten’s littermates and mother, as well as the facility in which they are kept
    * Provide health and vaccination records, and registration papers from the Cat Fanciers’ Association (CFA), the American Cat Fanciers Association (ACFA), or The International Cat Association (TICA)

Read more at Suite101: How to Find Purebred Kittens: Finding Reputable Cat Breeders from Which to Adopt Purebreds How to Find Purebred Kittens: Finding Reputable Cat Breeders from Which to Adopt Purebreds

Find Breeder

The Cat Fanciers' Association (CFA): Cat Breeder Referral Service (CBRS)
    Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 03:19 PM

Thanks, Bella!

When you first start looking for something on the internet sometimes it's overwhelming. I did find a Breeder's association for this breed, but it's a pretty small association. They all seem to offer papers from ACFA, too, so that seems pretty up-and-up.

I guess the only other question is whether breeders ever sell females or not? It seems the only female I could find for adoption through this association was an older cat, and a rescue. While that would usually be okay with me, I have a pretty selfish cat already, and need a cat that won't feel bullied by her (because she bullies the strays that come into my yard from the window, and her little sister, too, already.). I wouldn't want to worry about a rescue feeling that the environment is too hostile, either.

I guess that's a question I could ask breeders as well, though.

Gah, I *would* have to fall in love with an EXPENSIVE breed.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 03:30 PM

They really are a beautiful cat, and I am not a cat person!

I didn't know that cat breeders didn't sell females. Do they normally keep the females for themselves? Would you only want a female? I've always been partial to male cats, but then I think it's because they are more like a dog as far as friendliness goes.

I've only ever owned 4 cats my entire life, they were all strays. Two of them I found homes for after I spent a small fortune in spaying and neutering and vaccines, but where I am such an avid camper, it wasn't fair to leave them home every week end. I did find them in a compost bin, and took them in for 8 weeks until I found a suitable home.

I hope you find what you are looking for, and can't wait to see the pics!
    Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 03:40 PM

I don't know that they don't either. But the only cats/kittens I could find for sale were male.

I have had problems in the past with males spraying and urinating, and my older cat (Pete) has issues. She just does NOT like males, and gets beat to crap trying to beat them up (she's only like 8 lbs and thinks she's a 80 lb black lab, and is SURPRISED when she gets beat up).

I just prefer females. I like their personalities better than male cats, generally. I know not every male will urinate out of the box, but I've had 3 that did. And I know that neutering him before he starts spraying is a way to stop that, but I've had neutered cats spray territory with urine, and I'd just rather not chance it with my maple floors and walnut built in cabinets.

It's the personality that gets me. One site described them as a cross between "a cat, a monkey, and Dennis the Mennis". Intriguing, to say the least.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 03:56 PM

Just for comparison's sake and for fun, you might want to check out Abyssinians. My soulcat was a rescued part-Aby and the light of my life. They too like heights, are "talkers," and very nosy -- are always in your face and curious. Females might be more available, but I haven't checked that out.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2010, 04:51 PM

Abyssinians don't shed either. (Or at least not much if they do.)

Curious the different opinions between male and female. I prefer males myself, but not because they're more like dogs in terms of friendliness. Cats' lack of wanting to be jumping in my face all the time is why I like them and not dogs. (I should say I love dogs, but prefer not living with one unless it's fairly calm and very well behaved. I actually love all animals.)

Females can tend towards being witchy.

I have one of each at the moment. They both prefer being near me. The male is more inclined to want to get on me, but not like a dog. The female is more inclined to want to pee around the house.

In fact, out of all the cats I've had, in childhood at home, and my own later (which is about 15 total at this point), the two who were problems peeing around the house were the females. The only male who ever started doing that was totally due to medical problems. (First diabetes, and then later just getting older and having trouble with his back legs getting into the box and such, and that doesn't even count.)

I've always found the females to be more inclined to react badly to other cats.

Now, all the males I've had have been neutered by no later than about six months so that could be making a difference.

(Of course, if you already have a female who reacts badly to males, that's a good reason not to get a male.)
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2010, 04:54 PM
    Oh, yes, and I can fully well imagine them not wanting to get rid of the females. Females can only have litters every so often and so many times and then have to retire. So they need replaced. Males can "do it" however often you want them to. (Kinda like men. LOL.) Of course, not having enough males gets into inter-breeding problems and such, but still, seems they'd need more females.

And it also makes sense they'd give up an older female who had to be retired. But I don't know how old they'd stop them.

This is all conjecture on my part, but it does make sense to me.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Sep 21, 2010, 07:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    Abyssinians don't shed either. (Or at least not much if they do.)

Curious the different opinions between male and female. I prefer males myself, but not because they're more like dogs in terms of friendliness. Cats' lack of wanting to be jumping in my face all the time is why I like them and not dogs. (I should say I love dogs, but prefer not living with one unless it's fairly calm and very well behaved. I actually love all animals.)

Females can tend towards being witchy.

I have one of each at the moment. They both prefer being near me. The male is more inclined to want to get on me, but not like a dog. The female is more inclined to want to pee around the house.

In fact, out of all the cats I've had, in childhood at home, and my own later (which is about 15 total at this point), the two who were problems peeing around the house were the females. The only male who ever started doing that was totally due to medical problems. (First diabetes, and then later just getting older and having trouble with his back legs getting into the box and such, and that doesn't even count.)

I've always found the females to be more inclined to react badly to other cats.

Now, all the males I've had have been neutered by no later than about six months so that could be making a difference.

(Of course, if you already have a female who reacts badly to males, that's a good reason not to get a male.)
    I'm with you. Almost all the cats I've known that had problems actually using the litter box were female. Right now, I'm having problems with zoe peeing on my floor, even if I JUST got done cleaning the box and no one else has used it before.

Of the ones that weren't female, one was an older male (around 20 when I knew him) that had never been litter trained and went outside like a dog. The other probably had the feline equivalent of down's syndrome and was spayed AND neutered (so may count as half female).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do reputable jewelers trade? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, just wondering if a good, trustworthy jeweler should accept other gems or precious metals as trade for other services (e.g. resizing, adding stones, etc.). Thanks Rick

Breeder who needs assistance [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a breeder who has many puppies dying rapidly. The symptoms are vomiting, diareah, loss of appetite, and bloody stool. It's not coccidia or giardia. The medications we've been using are flagil, albon, arethamiacin and our vet has no answer.

Is this company reputable? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm thinking of doing a debt settlement program. I inquired with the company Debt SettlementUSA. I would be going through Brauer Law Offices, in Phoenix, AZ. Is this company reputable? Has anyone had any experince with them? Thanks for your imput.

Becoming a breeder [ 13 Answers ]

I'm just curious.. but what does it take to become a dog breeder? Like do you need to be certified do you need any schooling and so on and so forth

New breeder [ 13 Answers ]

My mini dachshund was supposed to be fixed I don't know if there was still extra sperm left or what but towards the end of my females first heat my mom found them hooked together that was about a week ago now her teets are starting to swell up. What is happening?:confused:

View more questions Search