Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rodrigue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2010, 07:08 AM
    404 not found errors
    I am having a problem with not being able to connect to the internet. I continue to get winsock errors 100054. I have went to cmd and tried to reset winsock using: netsh winsock reset with no luck. I checked for malware and cleaned over 50 items detected. I also ran a registry scan and repaired 10 items, but I continue to get 404 NOT FOUND or index of/ mode links bytes lastchanged name with many modes... I can ping any web IP in the cmd so I know I have good wireless connection on laptop. Please help.
    johndoe99 Posts: 167, Reputation: 21

Sep 15, 2010, 03:46 PM
    Have a look here:

How to determine and to recover from Winsock2 corruption in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, and in Windows Vista

Scroll down the page there is a "Fix It" button for Winsock Problems
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 19, 2011, 06:47 AM

I wonder if this has ever been answered.

404 errors are indicative of a Trojan Horse Virus that fakes a "Denial of Services"

Just about every AV software package will have a Removal Tool for this "PIA".
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Feb 19, 2011, 05:45 PM

The question here is are you able to connect to a network and not browse? Or not connect at all?

I would first check proxy settings as this is indicative of a virus as stated by donf...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Megaclick and 404 Error [ 1 Answers ]

I have Vista and IE 7.0. When I get a 404 error (IE can't open web page), it comes from something called "Megaclick." I have the Megaupload toolbar, which I'd just as soon keep, but I definitely don't want to be diverted from web pages that are otherwise available. Should I be concerned, and if...

View more questions Search