Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Trustingsoul Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2010, 05:20 AM
    What is the law for buying a used car from a private party,car wasn't well maintaine
    Seller stated car was well maintained, machanic states car is poorly maintained. The back brakes had to be replaced including rotors on the 4th day after I bought it. The bottom of the engine is soaked in oil and there is a knocking noise. I asked for their maintenance records but was told they didn't have them. They also said they just replaced the timing belt, Ibut it doesn't seem probable. Also told me to get it smoged. I wasn't aware of the law that the seller was supposed to do that till later. In 3 days the cost of this car has gone up $500.00. Seller said the only problem was the doors weren't locking properly. I would sue but don't want to make a fool of myself or waste any more money. I drove 300 round trip miles on Labor Day weekend to buy the car, so I couldn't have it check buy a mechanic then because of the holiday. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 15, 2010, 05:22 AM

Generally a private sale is As Is. Unless the seller put statements in writing you probably have no case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm a private party selling car in California, Law? [ 4 Answers ]

:) I want to know if I can sell it as is or if I have to warrantee anything?? Does it depend on value of car or milage? What should I know before selling my car?

California private party used car sale law [ 2 Answers ]

I just purchased a 2001 Blazer in Gilroy California , test drove it,it was fine, and a week later picked it up and it over heated 5 minutes into my drive home.I checked the coolant levels and it was empty,filled the cooling system up again ,and made it home. The next day it overheated again.I feel...

California private party used car law [ 2 Answers ]

When buying a used car in California, does the buyer have any recourse if the car renders inoperative within 90 days of purchase and there is no written contract.

Selling/buying a car to/from a private party [ 3 Answers ]

I really appreciate if anybody can help me by answering the following... 1) When you sell a car to a private party, what do you need to do? > a)Do you just need to sign on the title and give it to the buyer? > b)Do you need to go to a office to cancel the registration/tag/license plate? >...

View more questions Search