Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    allanellaandrea Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2010, 02:12 AM
    Chkdsk
    After pressing enter it began to say deleting orphan files. What does this mean? Does it mean it is erasing all the files in my hard drive?
    I am trying to click now the drive and it states that the parameter is incorrect? What should I do?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 15, 2010, 02:14 AM
    It means it's tidying up junk on your system.
    You CANNOT run a full check disc on C drive while the system is running.

Sep 15, 2010, 02:23 AM
    Comment on Curlyben's post
    Hi curlyben. Actually I am not checking a C drive. I am checking an external dirve.

Sep 15, 2010, 02:24 AM
    The problem is my external hard drive. Every time I click on it it says the disk is corrupt and inaccesible. What should I do now?

Sep 15, 2010, 02:27 AM
    Now after doing chkdsk/f on my external drive it says windows cannot recover master file table chkdsk aborted.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2010, 02:02 PM

Please scroll down and use the reply box to reply to posts rather than using that little comment box.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 04:05 PM

Are you using this drive and depend on it or do you have files you need to recover? You need to rebuild the FAT for that drive. FAT = File Allocation Table. So the drive understands the information that is on it and allow you to access it.
    johndoe99 Posts: 167, Reputation: 21

Sep 15, 2010, 04:13 PM
    The master file table is critical and is needed to access the files. Try GetDataBack Data Recovery 3.3

GetDataBack Data Recovery - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

This is only a trial, but it will scan your External HD, and let you know if the files are recoverable, if they are u can purchase it or look for a similar program that might be free.

If you do recover the files, copy them to your PC's hard drive and then format the external HD.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chkdsk error message [ 5 Answers ]

I keep r'cving this error message when I run chkdsk... Warning F parameter not specified. Running Chkdsk in read only mode. After I have set the system to run a chkdsk at next boot up, it does but the errors are Not fixed. Is there another way to find the errors and fix them... PLEASE...

Error message.says I need to chkdsk.utilities [ 5 Answers ]

When I try to defrage my C: drive it says I have scheduled a dskcheck, do a disc utilities How do I do that?

Chkdsk /f results [ 1 Answers ]

Once in a while, I will run chkdsk /f just to make sure everything is "ok" After the scan is finished... it blue screens the results of the scan, but only for 1 or 2 seconds. How can I either "pause" or keep the info there long enough to see what was wrong. I did a check today, and I...

View more questions Search