Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unpredict2ble Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2010, 05:10 PM
    Pull Cord won't pull on my Briggs and Stratton 650 Series push mower
    Ok here goes...

The pull cord is stuck. Its pulls out about 4 inches then the cord stops. Looking into the cord area ontop of mower, I notice a small white plastic piece getting caught in a notch built into the cord housing. Now... when I loosen the cord a little bit, I can slide a butter knife through the cord house and push in the little white plastic piece that's sticking into the cord housing preventing the cord from extending all the way out. When I push in that little white piece, the cord pulls out another 4inches or so, as it rotates to the next notch in the cord housing. Now... it seems originally that there was something that keeps this little white plastice piece pushed in at all times allowing the cord to pull start normally. The mower is a briggs and stratton 650series white outdoor mower. I wasn't using the mower when this problem occurred, but now I'm stuck trying to fix it. Any help? I hope that better describes the problem so I can get some help.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2010, 06:42 PM

Was any one using it or was it just sitting.did you sharpen the blade or lay it on its side?
    Lay it on the muffler side,undo the spark plug wire first,then see if you can turn the blade by hand.

Sep 14, 2010, 07:33 PM
    A friend of my friend was using it. It started normally and he was out mowing... he then killed it for whatever reason, but when he tried to restart it, the problem was there. I personally wasn't there so I don't know the exact details. Tomorrow I'll place mower on its side, remove spark plug wire and see if I can turn blade. My next question based off that is...

1. What if the blade can turn?

2. What if the blade can't turn?

DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2010, 08:06 PM

If the blade turns then it means it could be in the recoil assy.
    If it doesn't turn then your at probabaly a seized engine ,or if some one had it on the wrong side it could have a cylinder full of oil.

Sep 15, 2010, 02:59 AM
    Comment on DG's post
    I can get a butter knife, and pull this little white plastic piece in, allowing the cord to pull out more, it then gets caught on the next notch that looks built in to the base of the pull cord housing.

Sep 15, 2010, 03:01 AM
    Comment on DG's post
    It seems... there should be something that keeps this plastic piece compressed, allowing pull cord to extend all the way out. Is there a way to bypass pull cord start, and start mower a diff way?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Snowblower won't start, made bad noise using electric, pull cord now hard to pull. [ 7 Answers ]

I tried to start my snowblower today and it wouldn't start. I decided to try the electric start, plugged it in, hit the start button and all it made was a spinny grinding noise. Unplugged it, and tried to start it manually with pull cord again. The cord would not pull without lots of effort and...

I can't pull the starter cord on my 10hp Briggs and Stratton Engine [ 6 Answers ]

I recently purchased a two year old 10 hp Troy Built wood chipper. I've used it for about 4-5 hours and recently had to add a little oil. I added the correct type as per the manufacturers instructions. It started up just fine and after 15 minutes or so I shut it off to empty the bag. Once the...

Pull cord won't pull on Murray 2.0 mower [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Murray/Briggs 6.0 engine mower and the pull cord is sticking. It will stop after pulling about 4 inches. Then if I jiggle the pull cord it will extend another 4 inches. I can see a plastic piece that seems to be stopping it at every four inches. What is causing this and what is the repair...

Pull cord on Briggs and Stratton [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Briggs & Stratton 5 hp 206cc magnatron. The cord was pulled out of place so I took it apart and it appeared to recoil just fine until I bolted it back onto the machine. Then... the cord did not go back in. Is there some way I can get the spring to rewind? :confused:

Will removing 8" of play in the pull cord on my push mower improve the difficult star [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Cub Cadet self propelled 21" push mower that is a bear to start. I just changed the spark plug, cleaned out the air filter and it has fresh gas and plenty of the correct kind of oil. My husband and my 17 year old son can start it after 3 or 4 attempts, but I do not have enough strength...

View more questions Search