Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bowler Posts: 133, Reputation: 2

Sep 14, 2010, 04:47 PM
    Can't open MS Works files
    I saved all my MS Works files on a Thumb drive when I bought my new computer. I thought MS Word, which I installed, would open these files when I set up my new computer which is using Windows 7. Old one was XP. The files open in a big "Gibberish" I thought I would just buy MS Works 9.0 which I thought would cure the problem. Installed OK and it won't open the files either. I have a laptop that has the MS Works on it and it will open any of the files just fine. What am I doing wrong?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 14, 2010, 04:55 PM

You need to install the Works translators for Word. They are not installed by default. You probably have an older version of Works and probably need to install the translators for the older version as well.

Sep 14, 2010, 07:10 PM

I have Office 2000 which I agree, is an older version. However, the Microsoft Works that I just purchased is MS Works vers. 9.0 which as far as I know, is probably one of the newest. Why won't it open the Works files?

Sep 15, 2010, 03:54 AM

Again, it may be that you just didn't load the older translators. If works files are not listed in the Files of Type listing then that's the problem. You can't just open the files, you have to specify the format.
    johndoe99 Posts: 167, Reputation: 21

Sep 15, 2010, 04:43 AM

When you go to "Open" a file in Word, did you click into the drop down box located to the right and select "Works"

Sep 15, 2010, 10:15 AM

I know how to view file extensions and what programs open them in XP, but am unable to locate that on Windows 7. How do I get there?

Sep 15, 2010, 12:16 PM

That's not where you want to be. You need to open Word (or Works) first. Then use the File Open dialog and select the type of file you are trying to open.

By the way you can open Windows Explorer and, under the organize menu choose Folder and Search options for the Associations.

Sep 15, 2010, 12:31 PM

That's what I was looking for. I'll be away fom the PC for a couple of days and then will let you know how I do. In the mean time... Thanks for the help.

Sep 21, 2010, 11:27 AM
    I installed the converter and tried to open by opening under the file heading and also by clicking on the file itself. In Word, all I get is Gibberish.
    Doing the same in Works, I am told that the file is either corrupted or that Works cannot open the file.

Remember, these same files open on the laptop which is MS Works vers 8.0. I am about ready to give up because now ehen you open the files with the Laptop, do absolutely nothing to the file, except save it again, the extension changes to a .wdb extension and the laptop won't even open it then.

If I create a new file, by just doing a test, the file saves with a .wps extension and reopens fine.

When I look at file associations on either computer, both .wbd and .wps are associated with Microsoft Works.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can't open files [ 1 Answers ]

Hey... while ago I had a problem with my computer so I installed windows again, then my computer used to work normal like a new computer.. but then again I had this problem that none of the mouse, drivers and etc worked so I installed windows again now everything works excpet I can't open any...

I can't open my files [ 2 Answers ]

On my laptop I can't open my applications and it tells me to open it with... and it gives me a list

Downloading files to my PC never works [ 9 Answers ]

:confused:when ever I try to download a file to my PC I get the usual download window and click save. After the download is completed I search for the file on my computer and to where I downloaded it. The files never seem to show on my PC. I searched all over my computer for these files but found...

Can I, and how, move files from MS Works 3.5 to Works 9. [ 3 Answers ]

How can I move my spreadsheet files from MS Works 3.5 to Works 9?

Can't open files [ 1 Answers ]

I can't open files by double-clicking them from folders, though I can through the different softwares.

View more questions Search